Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey pugsy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Gasket scraper will be OK.

I like the 4'' wire brush with the 1/4'' shank. This can run in any drill although a high speed drill works the best.
Good, will definitely pick those up.

Quote:
A cheap tap and die set will work for chasing the threads, but be careful!!!
I just don't trust some cheap tools.
The only other place I can think of going to is Autozone, but I swear most of their tools look like they came from the same manufacturer as Harbor Freight, just at a much higher cost. Kragens/'O'Riley's or Pep Boys might have better quality tools. If the risk is too high, I am willing to wait and buy online, if you or anyone else has a recommendation.

Quote:
Try oven cleaner on the baked on oil on the underside of the intake.
If you want to use a wire brush in conjuntion with a cleaner such as Castrol Super Clean, make sure its one of those with a handle so you don't give yourself a shower.
I should have some oven cleaner. I bought three wire brushes last night and used 'em to clean the top of the intake manifold. I learned that not even the handle is enough; those cleaners can fly everywhere.

----------------------------------------------

So, like I mentioned, I tried cleaning the top of the intake manifold last night. I tried using a regular engine degreaser a couple of days ago and that didn't do anything. Before I tried again, I tried removed the plate for the divorced choke and, to my surprise, found the the lower bolt can't be turned because the head is right next to the plate itself. How the heck did they get that on there? I used Gunk's heavy duty gel version and a set of brass and stainless steel brushes. That removed quite a bit of it, but still left some glaring deposits. I finished by wiping the intake down down with a shop towel.

I did some searching on this forum and found these two threads that gave me some ideas: "what is the best way to clean cast aluminum" and "found the ultimate degreaser".

I tried using the carb cleaner spray next. used about a can and a half (over stock from the carburetor rebuild). That took a lot of grease off (anyone else like how cold the parts feel after a good dose of carb cleaner?). I wiped the intake manifold down again with a shop towel.

Next, I tried a foamy wheel cleaner, Eagle F1, and some brushing. Because the directions on the bottle said to wash off the cleaner after 30 seconds, I moved quickly. After washing and wiping down the intake, it seemed somewhat cleaner.

I ended for the night by using the remaining Gunk's gel, letting it soak in and brushing whatever I could. Its definitely cleaner that what I started with.