Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

I went to Autozone to check out their tap and die sets. I picked up this 40 piece set.

I then went to Harbor Freight to buy the 4" wire wheel. I decided to check out their tap and die sets as well. Their 40 piece set is suspiciously similar to the one at Autozone. The only thing that is different is the carry case. As I said in my last post, I believe they both carry tools from the same manufacturer, and Autozone simple charges more ($10 difference, in this case). I even saw a carbon gasket scraper that looks extremely similar to the one listed on the Harbor Freight website. And if the tap and die sets are indeed from the same manufacturere, the reviews on the Harbor Freight website are evenly split, it seems.

I have not yet opened the set from Autozone, in case anyone suggests trying another brand/store. I went online to the Sears website to check out their sets, and they also have a 40 piece set at a price closer to Autozone's.

Also, do I need a metric or an SAE set? Or should I invest in a combo set the first time? The one I bought at AutoZone is the metric set.