Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey pugsy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Bolts are fine.
The gummed up parts are where they go thru the manifold and the threads don't do anything.
Make sure to use sealant on the threads.

As for the rubber intake gaskets, yes toss em (unless you want to do this job twice).
Got it. I used the bolts today and they seemed fine. I used the Loctite sealant on them. And I used the black RTV in place of the rubber gaskets.

Today, I began my work day by learning how to change a damaged avlve stem and repair the bead using starting lfuid and matches. Fun! Except for the fact there is a new and a broken valve stem rolling around inside the tire. Gotta works on these hands...

After that, I went ahead and tackled the driver-side valve cover. I used the Right Stuff Gasket maker. Seems to work very quick.

I also used the blue Loctite on the bolts. It turned out that the ARP bolts were too long, I imagine because I didn't use the rubber gasket this time. So I used the three original bolts ad the wing washers, and one of the ARP bolts with the wing washer as well as the two chrome washers the set came with. Btw, that Loctite stuff is expensive. $23 for the bottle. And I am sure I wasted alot of it due to Operation Overkill.

Once the valve cover was done, I went and ahead and spread the black RTV gasket maker on the engine and also stuck the intake manifold gaskets to the heads using a bit of RTV here and there. Then I set down the manifold, bolted it down by tightening the bolts diagonally, and finished by the putting some Right Stuff around the edges of the manifold.

I am now waiting for the gasket maker stuff to dry over night and tomorrow. I will do the distributor next. I will be using this image as reference to where the rotor was position when I pulled it out.

After the distributor, is the wire set, carburetor and various hoses and linkages. The plan is to them fill the radiator with water and get the truck started. Once its up and running, flush out all the water as well as the motor oil, along with the filter, and put in some clean stuff.

Everything look ok so far? Anything I should double check or correct before moving on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Cover with Right Stuff gasket_Tile.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	55983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Cover and Loctite_Tile.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	55984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake Manifold Install_Tile.jpg
Views:	275