Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
  #169 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 PM
lt1silverhawk's Avatar
lt1silverhawk lt1silverhawk is offline
"But how do it know?"
 
Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 2,287
Wiki Edits: 132

Thanks: 101
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Hi All,


Hope everyone is having a safe and fun July 4th.


I spent some time moving the distributor back and forth yesterday and this morning, but no luck. Some of the video's from yesterday's attempts are linked in the previous post.


While I am confident I found TDC for piston #1 and set up the distributor and wires correctly, I have decided to do everything again.


I removed the cap and rotor to make sure everything looks ok on the inside. The distributor fell on the floor a few days back and I hope that didn't damage anything. I am thinking about removing the Ignition Control Module, taking it to Autozone and having it tested. While I'm there, I'm going to pick up a can of electric connections cleaner and spray everything down.







I tried finding TDC on piston #1 by inserting a thick wire into the spark plug hole. I put a piece og black electrical tape for reference to see how it moved. Unfortunately. The wire was of no help and actually got caught. I got it unstuck by lightly cranking the engine once.


I then had someone crank the engine while I kept my finger over the spark plug hole. Once I felt the air rush out, I tried turning the balancer using the socket but the bolt head for the balancer is now too far gone. The timing mark is at about 4 degrees before TDC. I am taking Bruce's advice #2 (75gmck25) in post 147 (page 10) to finish up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
Its hard to turn the engine over with the balancer bolt because you can't keep the socket square on the bolt and it takes a lot of leverage. I didn't strip the bolt on mine, but I did crack a 6 point socket from the torque I was applying. Then I tried using an old 12 point and it stripped the inside of the socket.

For my last reassembly I used two methods:

1 - Before the balancer was installed. Remove the flywheel cover and clamp a vice grips on the toothed part of the flywheel. You can only turn it about 70 degrees, but there is good leverage because of the diameter of the flywheel. I also marked the flywheel with paint (a line running straight down) once I got to TDC.

2 - A strap wrench (rubber strap type from Lowes) around the crankshaft pulley. My outer belt on the pulley is for A/C and I did not have that belt installed. Its not easy to keep the strap in place on the pulley, but once you apply pressure it tightens up and you have quite a bit of leverage. Before I installed the fan I could turn it with the strap wrench from the engine compartment, but with the fan in place I had to lay under the truck and turn it over.

Bruce





As an added bonus, I've got fuel leaking from the carburetor's filter housing.






Now, I am off to pick up a strap wrench and a can of electric cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Distributor_Cap_Rotor_Tile.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	616.2 KB
ID:	56534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire_Timing Mark_Tile.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	56535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	56536  
Reply With Quote