Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:26 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Before heading out, I yanked the distributor and removed the Ignition Control Module. I went to Autozone and had the Ignition Control Module tested. The employee at first said it failed. But then he tested it again after testing a new one, and it passed. I purchased a can of CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner to clean out the distributor. I found a set of strap wrench for $15.99, but decided to try Harbor Freight, which had 'em for $2.99.

Unfortunately, the strap on the larger wrench kept slipping on the section between the balancer and the pulley due to large amount of grease. So I loosened up the power steering pump to remove the belt and tried the wrench on the pulley, but still too much slippage. On my return to the tool box, I found the six-point 16mm socket and tried that on the bolt head and it worked. Could've saved me a trip...

Because I was turning the balancer from below the truck, it took quite a few tried to get the mark as close to zero as possible. Also, the 16mm socket is now stuck to the bolt. Guess I'll leave it there for now...

I have cleaned out the distributor by gently spraying the CRC stuff. Im now going to drop it back in, using the same steps I followed in post #14* (page 10)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRC Cleaner $ Strap Wrenches_Tile.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	56537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strap Wrench & Power Steering Pump_Tile.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	56538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing Marks & 16mm Socket_Tile.jpg
Views:	468