1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The part where you said fuel was spraying out of close to the linkage, is it outside the throttle bores near the driver's front corner of the carburetor and points straight up and down actuated with a lever pivoting on a pin on the carburetor body? If so, that is the accelerator pump and fuel coming from there is a sign either the float level is set too high or there's dirt in the seat where the needle and seat are for the fuel inlet to the float bowl. Either one of these requires disassembly of the top of the carburetor to clean the float bowl and readjust the float level.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Happy New Year Cyclops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
The part where you said fuel was spraying out of close to the linkage, is it outside the throttle bores near the driver's front corner of the carburetor and points straight up and down actuated with a lever pivoting on a pin on the carburetor body?
I had a family member watch as I was starting the truck in the first video and, according to him, the fuel was shooting out of a nut by what was later identified as the accelerator pump (maybe it was shooting out of the accelerator pump and he just didn't see it).

Quote:
If so, that is the accelerator pump and fuel coming from there is a sign either the float level is set too high or there's dirt in the seat where the needle and seat are for the fuel inlet to the float bowl. Either one of these requires disassembly of the top of the carburetor to clean the float bowl and readjust the float level.
That's what I've concluded as well based on what I've read so far. I'm figuring dirt or other form of debris did get in there. Any tips or guides on disassembling and cleaning the float bowl and readjusting the float level? Don't wana overkill

Thank you all sooo for your continued help. I can't possibly thank you enough for making this an enjoyable learning experience
Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

It'd probably behoove you to buy a carburetor kit and float for your carburetor. The kit will have an exploded view of the carb. We can talk you through disassembly and reassembly.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Quote:
It'd probably behoove you to buy a carburetor kit and float for your carburetor. The kit will have an exploded view of the carb. We can talk you through disassembly and reassembly.
Lol! But of course (I can just hear Jeff Foxworthy going "Well duuuuuuuuuuuh!" in my head now) Thanks for pointing that out Sir!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

There are some idiosyncracies the instructions in the kit leaves out.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
There are some idiosyncracies the instructions in the kit leaves out.
Thats good to know. Then I will continue documenting what I am doing and rely on your pointes and feedback.

However, on a side-note, I am very much tempted to see if I can temporarily run a Holley 4150 in its place (I believe they are both spread bore). That will give me all the time needed to patiently work on this while still being able to move the truck around.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Good plan.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Good plan.
Thanks! And a very happy birthday to you Sir!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanks ...........I think.

Getting old sucks.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Thanks ...........I think.

Getting old sucks.
Lol! If I had a $1 for every time I heard that one...

I, for one, am appreciative of your age because it clearly comes with experience and knowledge which you are now using to help and educate the rest of us.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
"But how do it know?"

In order to keep this thread from getting too lengthy with pictures and data, I will be documenting the carburetor's removal, disassembly, cleaning, rebuild, and tuning here. It will also make it easier for anyone looking for similar information to find that thread without having to read through this one.

Once that thread is complete, I will return to this thread to document anything else that remains.

Again, thank you all for the continued help.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM
"But how do it know?"

Hi All,

Well, after almost two and a half months, the carburetor has been rebuilt with full documentation. I installed it on the truck yesterday evening and got it to fire up today. You can see a video of how it ran here. Can you guys still here a skip?

The next step for me is to check the plugs, making sure the gap is 0.060" and change the wires. I will also try to take it for a spin tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Hi All,

Well, after almost two and a half months, the carburetor has been rebuilt with full documentation. I installed it on the truck yesterday evening and got it to fire up today. You can see a video of how it ran here. Can you guys still here a skip?

The next step for me is to check the plugs, making sure the gap is 0.060" and change the wires. I will also try to take it for a spin tomorrow.
.060 is too wide, that may be your problem. I believe spec is .035"
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM
"But how do it know?"

Hey Torque,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
.060 is too wide, that may be your problem. I believe spec is .035"
According to Autozone's site, the gap is 0.045" for Federal emssions models, and 0.060" for California emissions models. IIRC, the previous owner had gaped the plugs at around 0.050".
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Huh, you're right. I never knew that old of an HEI to use such a wide gap. Ive seen some late 80s 4 cylinders to use a .060 gap but never a V8.

My 78 454 takes .035 gap, but thats a big block and if I remember right you are working on a 350. Oreillys does show a .035 on a 77 K10 350 but on heavy duty non cali emissions (which is all I'm used to). Light duty uses .045 for non cali emissions. And of course .060 for the cali engines.

I still question that kind of a gap in that engine, its awfully wide. Maybe its the type of plugs you are using. What brand are they?

Tags
chevy, fuel delivery, ignition, quadrajet, timing

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.