1977 Chevrolet K20 - Power Steering Pump Screeches - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

1977 Chevrolet K20 - Power Steering Pump Screeches

Hi All,

I believe I have damaged the power steering pump on my '77 Chevy K20 while replacing the water pump quite a while back. I had emptied out the power steering pump and had forgotten to fill it back up before starting up the truck. I drove the truck a total of 20 feet before realizing I had no power steering. I had quickly filled it up with some motor oil, which was all that I had.

Now, the pump screeches and hesitates all the time. Click here for video of the pump.

So, its time to replace the pump and I have a few questions:

- Any experience with Duralast power steering pumps? I know it seems to be a hit or miss with their re-manufactured parts. Or is there a better brand available at a reasonable price.?

- In case I have to end up buying/ordering from Autozone, how can I tell if the pump has hydro-boost or vacuum-boost? Judging from the hoses running to it, I'm guessing it is a hydroboost. Autozone search results here.

- While searching for a pump on Summit Racing, I was asked to pick either a Saginaw or a GM Type 2 (Saginaw TC Series). How can I tell which one I have? Summit Racing search results here.

Anything else I should be on the look out for, or replace as a precautionary measure (aside from the belt)?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

We recently had 0 luck with aftermarket rebuilt pumps. We had an s10 we replaced 3 times then went and bought a new on from a GM distributor.

Chet
Old 12-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Looks to me like the belt is loose.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The belt is loose, the pump is probably fine.

Tighten the belt up. Two foot pry bar tight.

Ive been around quite a few old chevy pickups. I still have two that I use occasionally for building fence, hauling manure, or any other dirty job Id rather not use my good 4x4 for. I have yet to see a power steering pump fail on a chevy truck of that era. They are nearly indestructible.

If it still squeals after you get the belt good and tight, Id inspect the belt before I replaced the pump. The belt may be glazed from having been run loose.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey Chet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
We recently had 0 luck with aftermarket rebuilt pumps. We had an s10 we replaced 3 times then went and bought a new on from a GM distributor.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll stick with factory. Thanks.

Hey cgates and Johny,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates
Looks to me like the belt is loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyR17
The belt is loose, the pump is probably fine.

Tighten the belt up. Two foot pry bar tight.

Ive been around quite a few old chevy pickups. I still have two that I use occasionally for building fence, hauling manure, or any other dirty job Id rather not use my good 4x4 for. I have yet to see a power steering pump fail on a chevy truck of that era. They are nearly indestructible.

If it still squeals after you get the belt good and tight, Id inspect the belt before I replaced the pump. The belt may be glazed from having been run loose.
The belt itself is a little over a year old, the water pump/alternator belt is in front of it, and the truck isn't used much, so I haven't removed it yet.

I did go ahead and tighten up the belt. I think it is tight. Using a pair of pliers, I pulled up at the left side of the power steering pump to get the belt as tight as possible while tightening up all the bolts. I later found out that another way to tighten it up is to attach a ratchet on to one of the bolts on the the pump it self and push it up/towards the passenger side. Haven't tried that yet.

I tested out the power steering pump after tightening up the belt and moving the truck away from the curb so the tire was jamming against it. Click here for a video of the test.

The pump was still screeching a bit. I wanted to siphon out the old fluid and replace it with new fluid but my siphon hose was not up to the task. I didn't have time to loosen up one of the hoses and let the fluid out so I added more power steering and purposely topped it off so the rest would boil out (Bad move?). I also sprayed some PB Blaster onto the pulley area itself. I tried the steering again and now it would only squeak when pushed to the very maximum left or right (not sure what the appropriate term is).

I then took the truck for a short spin to see if it made a difference and if any fluid would boil out. The steering remained very quiet, except when pushed to the very far left or right. I pulled into an empty parking lot and kept going in circles, occasionally yanking at the steering to see if it would make a noise. It stayed mostly quiet.

I then parked the truck and saw that the fluid was now boiling out the top. The pulley began making more noises. But it stayed fairly quiet while the vehicle was moving. Click here for a video of the test.

So now, the pulley still screeches quite a bit when parked, but not so much when moving. Perhaps the belt could be tightened up more? I also suspect that a small hose below the pump might be in need of replacement, which I will take care of next. I will also put in fresh fluid at the same time.

I will report back after fixing and replacing those things.

Thanks for the help!

Tags
chevy, power steering pump, truck

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.