1977 chevrolet nova 350 update - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1977 chevrolet nova 350 update

hey guys i got a update on my 1977 chevrolet nova the initial timing was set to 24 btdc so i had to set it back to 8 btdc runs better now but has a slight tick not sure what it is so hears the video but yea this is the ol girl

Advertisement

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 02-11-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I edited your first post and fixed your You Tube link. When embedding a You Tube video, only paste the identifier, in your case, from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NN-y64q2y9Q

cut and past "NN-y64q2y9Q", (without the quote marks) not the entire URL.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like a typical exhaust leak. Either the gasket on the head or on the collector. Have you tightened them up since the install. You need to re-tighten a few times till they get set.
Why only 8*. Should be able to bump it up to 12-14*.
A word of caution. Replace that rubber fuel line with a metal tubing one. That's a fire waiting to happen. I learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

thats my next venture the fuel line because i really dont know how old the are but it does sound like an exhaust leak thats what i been thinking it was but the bolts are tight the exhaust im running is the flowtech headers with thrush 2 1/4 turbo mufflers now on those mufflers its quiet too quiet for me lol thinking of cherry bombs
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

Easy way to find the leak. Use an old chunk of garden hose as a stethoscope.
Stick a small funnel on one end by your ear. Put other end close to header flange. You'll hear it quite well.
Even though your bolts are tight because some header flanges aren't perfectly flat you can double up on the header gaskets. I've had to do that.
Especially with the paper type gaskets.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

i am actually thinking of running manifolds and getting rid of the headers but still using the true duals i know headers are better for power but this is the second time of having to figure out the ticks first time was on a ford 302 efi but yea headers are ok but i think for originality im gonna try for manifolds hope fully i can find a good pair lol
Old 02-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

8 Degrees is way too low. The base timing with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged should be 12 degrees before top dead center. Then reconnect vacuum advance to a manifold full time source which is one that pulls vacuum at idle, recheck timing, it should be 18 to 24 degrees before top dead center. Now for some tips to fix the leaky header.
If you use paper gaskets the classic hot rodders trick is soak them in water for 24 hours before use, this does 2 things, it makes them swell so they seal better and the moisture helps prevent burn out. However, the best header gaskets of all are the cheapest, they are factory exhaust manifold gaskets. These gaskets are made of meshed metal so they don't burn out easy. They're slotted so you don't have to remove the header bolts, you just loosen them and drop them in from the top. In many cases if you have to remove the header for any reason they are reusable. If you dump your headers your throwing 20 horses and 30 ft lbs of torque out the window.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

ok thanks for the tip my only problem is that when i go higher it will back fire at load but once i did what i did the backfire stopped and im getting better gas milagae than i did much easier to start when warm but any way i hope that i can do more updates later but thank you for the tips this will help alot never thought of using the old manifold gaskets thats kool would save money ive got a brand new set that came with the car

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.