Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Checked a few things on the truck today. I began with the vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the transmission, and it seemed fine. I then removed the air filter assembly and visually checked out the carburetor and noticed that one of the vacuum inlets had nothing over it. I covered that with a cap.

I started the truck up a little while ago, let it warm up and took it for a spin. More of the same. It revs just fine in Park and neutral but sputters in every forward gear. Reverse gear seems fine, however.

When in Drive, the truck moves just fine for the first few hundred rpm and then begins ti falter. It will keep going but as more gas is given, the more it seems to lose power. This happens in every forward gear.

I also noticed that about two minutes after I turned the truck off, there was just the slightest white smoke comes out from the passenger-side rear on the engine area. I had the hood open during that time. I also noticed that the choke plate seemed to be stuck in one and place and I loosened it with a smack of a screw driver.

Augusto, I will be checking the spark plugs as soon as the truck cools down a bit. I unfortunately don't know anyone with an exhaust gas analyzer.