Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

@Augusto: I was going to do these tests this morning before going to work, but it just so happened that the fuel pump tester kit didn't have the tee connector. I'll stop by Harbor Freight and get a replacement if I can, or I'll pick one up at Autozone.

@Bruce: I do have a strong suspicion that the fast idle cam may be a part of the problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was very sticky and took some effort to get it to move. I'll try spraying some carb cleaner on it to see if helps. If there is a better method, please do share. Btw, good tip on using the mirror. I'll give that a try as well if needed.

@Cobalt: Ever since this problem began, I have only driven it up and down the street a few times. Before that, I did drive up to five miles for work a couple of times per week. Another member has suggested that I check timing before doing anything else and the thermostat isn't necessary to do that. A 15-minute spin should get the temperature should do the trick for the getting the temperature up there and testing the timing (I never properly set it after the carb rebuild and the distributor install. Just did it by ear.)

The gas tank that was contaminated was drained. But I have been using the other tank instead this whole time. I know I did flip the switch between the two tanks here and there a few times for a couple of seconds, but nothing more. I still need to drop the contaminated tank and clean it.

The metal line is not lined up with the modulator (thanks for providing the correct term)[/i], which is why the rubber hose looks "S" shaped. I will try bending it and replacing the rubber hoses on both ends. I am tempted to yank the whole thing out and inspect it for any damage.

So, here is the game plan for now:
- Replace/buy the the-fitting for the fuel pump tester.
- Clean out the fuel filter right before the carburetor.
- Do the fuel pressure and volume tests while keeping an eye on the fast idle cam.
- Check/ replace the rubber hose ends on the vacuum line to the transmission modulator.
- If all's well, take the truck for a spin and get it warmed up.
- Check and adjust the timing.
- Continue with flush.

Looks good?