Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

As planned in post #25, I went ahead and cleaned out the fuel filter today. There was quite a bit of crap, very similar to the stuff found when the truck began having problems from contaminated fuel over a year ago. See post #19 on page 2 and #38 on page 3 for reference images.

I washed everything out with water, dried it all up using shop towel and reassembled the filter.

-----

Next item on the list was to check the fuel pressure. I went to Harbor Freight and swapped out my fuel pump test kit for a new one since mine was missing the t-connector.

I installed the t-connector in place of the fuel filter and hooked up the gauge to it.

I then performed the fuel pressure test three times. You can see the video of all three tests below.

The first time, fuel starting shooting out where the t-connector was because I had not clamped it down tightly enough. The gauge was showing 7 psi. I did rev the engine and it was hesitating. I loosened up the fuel hose to relieve pressure and reset the gauge to "0".

The second time there were no issues. I let the truck run for several minutes and revved it a few times and there was no hesitation. The gauge showed 7 psi. I again loosened up the fuel hose to relieve pressure and reset the gauge to "0".

I then did it a third time. Again, it showed 7 psi.

I did not get to do a volume test today because I did not have someone available to help me out so one could keep an eye on the fuel and the engine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filter Tile.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	63098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Pump Tester.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	63104