Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 06:47 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I wasn't able to see the video (problem on my end), does the choke ever completely open?

The timing mark won't be visible if the vacuum advance is hooked up to a manifold vacuum source,

If it was disconnected and plugged, the timing tab/damper line may be off; there were three Gen I tabs/dampers that may be confusing the issue.

DETERMINING TDC will allow you to be sure the timing tab and damper are correctly indicating TDC.

MAKE A TIMING TAPE to see what the total timing is, w/o needing to use a dial back timing light. You can also buy a timing tape, get one that matches the diameter of your damper.

The image shows the correct orientation of the timing tape:

Because the distributor is running the engine, I doubt the drop did any real harm. I would expect a no-start condition if the module or pick up coil had been damaged by it falling. Sometimes modules will run fine cold but give problems when they're hot. The pick up coil can exhibit erratic behavior if the wire inside the insulation is broken from the movement of the advance plate on the distributor.

If you need it:

REBUILD HEI-

HERE'S an exploded view of an HEI distributor.
THIS is a description of an HEI rebuild. HERE is another HEI info/rebuild page.