- Inspect vacuum line from intake manifold to transmission. Reapir/replace as needed.
Good for maitenance, but imo not your problem
- Switch vacuum advance line back to where it was previously installed on the carburetor (no vacuum at idle).
could be an issue, I like to run the one that gives timing at idle...helps out mgp a little
- Disconnect the choke, tie open the choke plate and try starting and running the truck.
could also be it, explains the nasty plugs...
- Test out transmission modulator.
one again...I would save this one for last.
- If all goes well, then yank the distributor and redo the timing.
Dont pull the dist! Just reset the timing by ear, your balancer may have slipped and then you CANT set it right by a light. I urge you to reset the timing, by ear, first.
- If all does not go well, then its time to revisit an old friend, the carb rebuild thread. Will pay special attention to the idle tubes.
- Fuel pump volume test still recommended?
I dont think its even an issue...all my luck with stock pumps tell me they either are good, or shot...no in between.
- Concerns about the intake gaskets were raised. Do they look ok here (#130)?
everything looks fine to me.