Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Thank BigRoy, I'll keep those things in mind.

I've been doing some reading today and have come across two topics that I can use some help on.

Been reading another thread on this forum ("what qjet to buy?"), and there was some discussion on the block off plates for the intake manifold gaskets. As I have mentioned before, this truck does not have a heat riser valve. I did use the block off plates when I redid the intake manifold gaskets. Could they be causing any issue(s)?

I was also looking up information on HEI vacuum advance, how they work and how to recurve them, when I ran across a page this page: "Adjustable Vacuum Advance And HEI Distributor Recurve". The author states that, as part of the timing procedure, Lars Grimsrud recommends setting total timing at 36 degrees, instead of a base timing and going from there: "How to Set Your Timing for Peak Performance ". What are your thoughts on this?

The block offs shouldnt be causing this big of an issue.

on my street vehicles I set the timing to where when the engine is warm, it will start smoothly...just a couple degrees before it starts to lug the starter when it tries to fire.

But the method mentioned is a great one.

I would tie the choke open and try it...just to eliminate that. then concentrate on the timing.