Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
I tried once to remove them but they were pretty much stuck in there and I feared damagin 'em, what would be a good way of doing it? heating up the casting maybe? what would be a good tool to grab them without crushing?

thanks for the tip, I'm sure this will cure some of my "junked" q-jets
If you look closely you can see there is an outside collar and the inner idle tube. Use a flat punch about 0.085" diameter to drive the tube out of the collar. Don't drive the tube down too deep, just carefully tap it down about 1/8" or so. If you go much further the bottom of the tube will hit the bottom of the passageway.

Then take a fairly long (at least 1") wood screw or drywall screw that fits the top of the collar. You can grind the sharp point off the screw so the screw threads bite into the collar before the tip of the screw touches the tube you just drove out of the collar.

I always use a small pencil type butane "torch" to warm the exposed area adjacent to the tubes instead of pulling them cold. 10-12 seconds is all it takes. A good cigar lighter could work well for this- you don't want nor need a big amount of flame/heat. This makes it VERY easy to pull them.

Side cutters work excellent- I use a 2" long x 1" wide x 3/16" thick strip of wood (made from a piece of wood paneling but could be most anything) across the carb body to protect it as well as making it easier to lever the screw/tube out. The strip- when positioned fairly close to the screw extending up from the tube- helps removal by letting the tips of the cutters reach downward from horizontal to grip the screw, then when levering the tubes out the cutters have enough room to remove them before the handles and your hand touch down, if you follow. Then tip the carb upside down and the idle tubes will fall out.

Then you can get into the passageway and flush/scrub it out so there's nothing in there to clog things up. Take a thin stiff wire to probe/clean the idle restriction tube then use compressed air and/or carb cleaner spray to flush the restriction tube. This blows all the crud into the (now empty) idle tube passageway so it can all be removed.

Hopefully that'll make a big difference in how the "unfixable" Q-jets will work for you.