Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

I wired the choke plate open using a paper clip, sprayed some starting fluid, and started up the truck.

The truck started up find but the speed immediately dropped to below 750 rpm. I gave it enough gas to keep it at 1,500 rpm for the first few minutes. I did rev it a few times and then eventually just let it run on its own as it idled close to 1,000 rpm, when the temperature began to rise.

I then took the truck for a spin and saw no difference in how it drove.

Up next: timing. The reason I mentioned that I was planning on pulling the distributor is because the way I last installed it, the canister is hitting the intake manifold at this point, which means the only thing I can do is to retard the timing from where it is at right now.

On a side note, another member has expressed concern that since the fuel did have crud it in, there is a possibility that there is crud in the fuel lines and/or the fuel tank is rusted. I will be looking into the carburetor at some point as well.

As always, thank you for the continued help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Choke Plate Wired Open.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	63396  

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 02-26-2012 at 04:14 PM.