Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Thursday morning, I added more oil and some Lucas to the engine. I used 20w-50 this time. I used 10w-40 during the previous oil change. I also check the cool ant level, which wasn't quite at full. There was also some crud under the oil filler cap. Visually checked the fuel filter before the carb and it looked clean and free of any debris. There was not starting up of the the truck this day.

----------

Started up the truck this evening and let it warm up on its own for a good twenty minutes. It reached operating temperature (about 195 degrees F) and then I took it for a spin. The truck ran pretty good again. No hesitations. No bogging.

This is the second time since the problem began that somethings were removed or adjusted and brought back to the same settings and the truck began working. The first time was replacing the coil.The second time was moving the distributor back and forth and closing up and turning out the idle mixture screws on the carb to 6 full turns. Both the distributor and the screws are at the position as before. No change in position.

The fuel was low so I added about five gallons to the tank.

I decided to take off the carburetor and remove the airhorn to see if there was any debris in the fuel bowl. I also removed the fuel filter for inspection and it came out clean.

Once the airhorn was removed, it was obvious that there was debris at the bottom of the fuel bowl.

I briefly looked at the idle tubes that cobalt mentioned, and they did not appear to be clogged. However, I did notice that the main well bleed tubes in the airhorn appeared clogged. Something to be concerned about?

I also checked the jets using the "light test", and they appear to be fine.

I removed the throttle body from the float bowl/main body, and discovered that the epoxy used during last rebuild was coming off. However, I cannot tell if it is even needed and if leaking is occurring.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone feel this info also should be added to the carburetor rebuild thread for a follow up?

Does anyone feel a complete tear down and rebuild is needed? Or can I just clean it all up using carb spray and bolt it back up? Can the same gasket between the fuel bowl and the airhorn be used? If yes, then i want to get this bolted up tomorrow and move onto timing. I've already begun work on the timing tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Added.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	904.8 KB
ID:	63681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Bowl Inspection.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	63682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubes in Airhorn.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	63684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epoxy.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	733.5 KB
ID:	63685  

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 03-04-2012 at 01:14 AM.