Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey Pugsy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Clean it up and reuse the same gasket is OK as long as no chunks came off of it and its not torn anywhere.
Yes, the gasket appeared to be very solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Does the debris look like the stuff from the fuel filter?

If so, it may be time to replace your fuel line and possibly the tank.
It was similar. There were some red particles that resembled those found in the fuel filter. Also found a small stone which is in the pictures below.

----------

I went ahead and cleaned up the carburetor using carb and brake cleaners and put it back together. I removed some of the epoxy that was coming lose. Where it was still hard, I left it alone, mainly over the plugs. I also did a "light check" on the orifice in the fuel bowl and they looked nice and open.

As always, I forgot a few things here and there and had to redo them, and no project is every complete without me dropping or losing something.On the plus side, I think I can now install the choke pull-off assembly in my sleep.

I also installed a fuel filter in the carb.

Got everything bolted up, closed and then turned out the idle mixture screws to six full turns, and started the truck. Let it run for quite a while as it approached operating temperature. The idle sounded very strong the entire time and never dropped below 1,500 rpm. I temporarily turned it off and it kept it running - dieseling - for a few seconds before stopping with a small bang.

I took the truck for a spin, and ran it well. The temperature stayed at 195 degrees F at all times. No fluctuations. The engine speed in Drive when at stop hovered at 7,50 rpm.

When I finally parked, the temperature was still at 195 degrees, but rising. In park, the idle was still 1,500 rpm. When i killed the ignition, the truck kept going for a good fifteen seconds before stopping with a bang and some smoke from the engine bay. From what I have read, this is very much a timing issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carburetor Clean Up and Rebuild.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	63704