Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
I did being work on a timing tape. Just need to find time to sit down carefully make the markings. I'm thinking that it doesn't need to be big enough to go all the way around (full 360 degrees). Maybe up to 60 degrees before and after TDC (180 degrees) should be sufficient. Any thoughts?
Sorry, that should say 120 degrees, not 180 degrees.

Hey barry,
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry425
There should be marks on your dampner and on the drivers side timing chain cover, so you shouldn't need timing tape.
There is a tab with marks (image below) on top of the damper. But I am making the tape more as an added assist and peace of mind to make sure everything is right on the money.

Quote:
Start at 5 degrees before TDC (Top Dead Center) and go from there. If you can find a Motors Manual for the year of your engine/car, it will list the timing information in there. In my opinion, Chilton is a poor second to Motors, and Haynes sucks because the info is hard to find and is sometimes even missing. You can also go to a Chevy dealer and get the specs from them.
I've been using the Autzone website as a reference and it calls for 8 degrees BTDC. I can stop by the local Chevy dealership and ask.

Quote:
The more you advance the timing, the faster the engine will run until you reach a point where it is too much timing and it will begin to stumble and slow down. Moving the distributor CCW (Counter ClockWise) will advance the timing. Check timing with the vacuum hose removed from the distributor and plugged.
This is where I recently hit a trouble spot. The last time I installed the distributor, I did in such a way that it now hits the intake manifold when being turned CCW. So I need to take it out and reinstall it while making sure it doesn't hit the firewall either.

Quote:
Total timing at 3,000 rpm should be no more than 34 degrees with todays lousy gas, if your timing light will work at that rpm.
After the last timing light turned out to be a dud, I waited and bought a fancy one (Equus 5568 Pro-Timing Light) and its features include "tachometer ranges from 249 to 9,990 RPM", so I am sure it will do fine at 3,000 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing Marks & 16mm Socket_Tile.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	63835