Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey Pugys and cobalt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
That's a good light. I have the same one. You can advance it as you pull up the rpm's.
After reading all the reviews of the various timing lights for sale on Amazon, I think its a good one too, and fairly priced. May be a bit advance for a rookie like me. Does the advance feature only works on the new DIS ignitions, or old ones too?

Quote:
With that light you don't need timing tape. I've never seen a balancer spin. I'm sure it happens sometimes, but i've never seen it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Just put a sharpie line across the outer damper ring to the inner hub and use that as a visual reference to see if the damper outer ring is moving over time.

If you put the sharpie line near to the damper TDC line you will be able to see it w/the timing light with the engine running.
Ok, the sharpie method is much easier. Personally, I don't think the damper is spinning but playing it safe never hurts.

Quote:
8* is correct for your truck. My 76 is the same.
Got it, that's the one I will stick with.

Btw, how much timing does the vacuum advance add?