Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Compression test is excellent. You propped the carb open?

If the threads of the plugs are what's wet, that's usually from external oil getting down into the wells where the plugs live (often it comes from the v-cover gaskets). It's the color and condition of the electrodes and porcelain (wet [oil], dry/tannish [normal], fluffy/black [rich] or shiny/white [hot]) that's the main concern. If they are wet w/oil, you have a problem of some sort. Being as how the compression tested so good, I'd be looking at the PCV valve and the tranny vacuum modulator first.

If the intake gaskets are leaking from the underside (lifter valley), it's almost impossible to tell unless you had a before and after vacuum reading to compare. Lacking that about all you can do is check everything you can that might be a cause for oil reaching the combustion chambers. Work from the easiest to the hardest by the process of elimination. I'd hate to think it was still the intake gasket(s).

What if anything were done w/the valve stem seals? Do the plugs show more oily deposits on one side than the other? If so, next time before removing the plugs (or now if they're still in order and you can put a few from each side back into the heads where they came from) you can mark the top of the plug w/a sharpie to see what the position of the plug's electrode is to the exhaust valve to see if the chambers are pulling oil past the seals. This is similar to "indexing" plugs if my explanation is unclear (which wouldn't surprise me! lol).