Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
#2 seen in the first photo is horrible. 4,6, and 8 are nothing to write home about, but are better than #2.

The other side, at least what can be seen of the electrodes, look good and is what you'd like the color to be like on ALL of them.
Ok, that puts things in a helpful perspective. I will work on getting more detailed shots.

Quote:
There are cases where, because of how hard the plugs are to get to, that a guy will skip replacing those hard to reach plugs. In those cases the plugs that are not replaced can show a lot more wear- but they still should not be caked w/what is obviously oil reaching the combustion chamber. And if the plugs look like that, you can bet the tops pf the piston and the back of the valves will look as bad.
The plugs were replaced about two years ago, and have less than a thousand miles on them.

Quote:
I might have to take back what I said about the oil on the threads being external. If there's enough, it could wick up the threads from the combustion chamber. But if that was happening, I would expect the engine to smoke badly.
Yeah, sorry about the confusion on my part about electrodes not being covered in oil. I've seen some white steam/smoke from the back of the engine bay from time to time, but not in a while.

Quote:
The plugs, PCV and hose look old. If it was me, I'd bite the bullet and replace them. The PCV grommet is also old and starting to crack and it needs replacing. Be sure if you do that you don't knock it through into the valve cover. No huge deal if you do (the oil baffle will keep it from falling into the head), but if you're careful it can be avoided.
I don't mind replacing any of this stuff. I've been meaning to replace all of the vacuum hoses for a while anyway. And I'll take it easy on the grommet. Been thinking about upgrading to sturdier valve covers, and this might be the time to do it.

Quote:
There's a chance that replacing the valve stem seals will help matters. The cost is low, but it's labor intensive. Plugs, hoses and vacuum lines are all consumables.
I wonder if Vizard's rebuild book covers how to replace valve stem seals.