Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
I think for the sake of safety and ease of work, I will look for a quality compressor. The one the the guy uses in the video, a Proform brand, seems pretty good so I'll look for that one. Although the valve holder tool isn't expensive ($10 on Amazon), I definitely appreciate the tip on the clothes line.

Btw, are the diameters for the seals pretty much the same, or will it vary by motor? I tried looking them up on Summit and they have several different diameters for an SBC. The reason I am concerned is that this engine is a crate engine, so I am not sure if it would be the same as the one for a stock motor in a '77 Chevy.
First, some clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Cloths line can be used through the plug hole to wedge the valve closed for removal so a compressor isn't necessary.
The compressor in the quote is an air compressor, not a spring compressor, which is still needed (a spring compressor, that is).

I am thinking you will have the small O-rings that seal the retainer to the valve stem. This set up uses a tin oil shield under the retainer.

I found a page here that shows the same spring compressor I have used successfully on stock SBC springs a number of times. It's inexpensive as well. The seals, retainers, locks, oil shields and O-rings shown there are what you will have- I think.

If you have 'positive' seals that are pressed onto the OD of the guide boss, they do come in several different ID and OD. But see what you have (small O-ring or positive type) and we can go from there.