Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevy K20: Engine Suffers from Hesitation/Power Loss When In Drive
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Sometimes air gets trapped under the seal and (kind of like when you use silicone grease on spark plug boots) the seal wants to pop back up unless the pressure is relieved. Might take a little pinch/squeeze at the top of the seal to distort the ID of the seal just enough to let air out past the valve stem. Or maybe use a toothpick to slip in between the stem and seal.
LOL! I tried the pinch/squeeze method but that was a bit difficult with the metal bands around these viton seals. Then again, I'm always so paranoid about damaging anything, I probably didn't apply enough pressure. The tooth pick I would've never though of, since I'm having to use an installation sleeve to protect the seals.

I gotta say, these seals are really tight and it does take some serious pressure to slide 'em down. But once they are, I can tell there aren't going anywhere. I almost became concerned that the exhaust valves may not get enough lubrication.

Thanks cobalt!