Hot Rod Forum banner

1977 Cnotch

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1977 C10 that has a rear flip kit and drop spindles up front so its pretty low. I measure 6 inches in the back. It's frame isn't notched though! The guy I bought it from says he didn't have a problem and he loaded a polaris ATV in the back during the winter. Could this be? I'm thinkin he had a sound system and didn't hear it. The axle is pretty close to the frame... I have the bed off right now and am about ready to install a bolt on one but first I wanna see what you all think first.

I also wanna add that I'm not interested in the debate about weld in or bolt in kits. I as a welder do not approve on welding the frame and have done so once in my life to fix a crack and was unsuccessfull. I'm not into gambling and when you weld a spot there is a "heat affected zone" around the weld that is brittle then the weld itself is super strong. Ends up being hard spots and you want it to give..

Thanks

#3 ·
I wanted to know if anyone has they're axles flipped and frames not notched and hasn't hit anything. Also what would happen after hitting the frame a few times? Could it have enough force to tweak it? Maybe only a real problem when you have a load? I wouldn't think that I'll put much in it because I've got a flatbed pickup for that but never know...

I've just read a few forums and a few guys suggested going with a weld in notch kit and really don't agree so I figured if I address it ahead of time maybe there wont be any wasted posts telling me to weld my frame.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Better put some kind of notch in there

I have a 3-4 on my 79 LWB
Always hitting the frame bumpers, but, I tow with it as well.
With a car on my trailer---the rear is about 1/2" from the bumpers.

These would be the stock bumpers---so there is still quite a bit of cusion before getting to the frame

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.