1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Project. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Team Revolution

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Project.

I got this car last year for my 15th birthday. It has a the original 350 chevy. It has a new flowmaster exhaust system with stock manifolds. And now that I've been driving it for 6 moths, I just want it to have more balls. And since I dont drive it in winter, I thought this would be a good time to tear into the motor. This will be the first ever engine I have ever really opened up. I was just wondering what I could do to give it more power with out spending a ***** ton of money. Maybe $1000-$1500. I dont really care about top end speed. I just want it to take off when I step it down. The previous owner rebuilt the motor about 3 years ago, and I'm not sure if he did anything to it. I really have no idea what to get for it. Maybe a cam? Stroker kit? But I dont know what all I need to do it right. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks ~ Logan

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 AM
floppers forever

your normal first up grades as i can remember on a budget was:cam,intake,carb and headers.ignition parts if you could afford them.
be sure not to go to big with the cam,an rv cam would be decent cam to save money give torque and not have to take the heads off saving more money in gaskets.i say not take the heads off cuz the springs will handle the lift of the cam.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Logan,
If your goal is a hole shot
change rear gears, otherwise
follow nitro_ballers4692 advice
Take care,
rich
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Team Revolution

Last photo:

Thanks guys this has helped a lot.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Team Revolution

Last photo:

What do you suggest doing with the intake?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
WOW, I could have had a V8!

Last photo:

Hey Logan,
I like it.
I used to have the exact same car as yours including the Chevy small block, same color, but mine was a 4 door.
It had over 184,000 miles on it when i sent the body to the boneyard, but the engine still lives on in my buddys 57 Chevy.

Jon
Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Team Revolution

Last photo:

Thanks, they are nice cars. This one has 154,000 miles on it right now. The engine was rebuilt at 150,000.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 AM
floppers forever

for now i would go with edelbrock's #2701 performer eps intake with a holley 600 cfm vaccum secondaries #0-80457s.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan__tille
Thanks, they are nice cars. This one has 154,000 miles on it right now. The engine was rebuilt at 150,000.
Thats great, you've got a nice fresh motor in there. I always give the same advice on this topic, but it works so I'll give it again:

Work from the back of the car forward. I would get a posi unit and some steeper gears first (3.42's are probably good for your purposes). Next thing I'd do is a shift kit and a stall converter. All of those changes, depending on how much you have to do to the rear end to get your gears installed, is probably between 400-800 dollars. You'll feel that much more than if you change your intake and put a cam in your motor!

If you have money left over later your best bet is to make sure you have a decent duel plane intake and carb on your car. Headers are a nice addition too, but for stock applications they can be more trouble than they're worth. Anything less than a 5 or 600 dollar set of headers is going to be non-coated, poorly bent, difficult to install and more than likely leaky. Stay away from them unless you're willing to pony up for a decent set.

K
Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Agree with the differential first - the car probably has 2.29's or 2.41's in it from the factory? Thowing a 3.42 under that will help out a lot.

I also like the shift kit idea - cheap and good firm shifts.

After that I'd go after rebuilding the distributor and then depending on the condition of the carb possibly replacing that - I've seen new 3310 Holley's on ebay from a shop for $230 - pretty reasonable for what you are getting.

After that - a nice dual plan aluminum intake would take weight off the nose of the car & perform better - Professional Products is probably your cheapest bet for new.

Try finding whoever built the engine over the winter. It would be a waste to throw out a nice RV cam just to put the same thing back in again.

Also - pull your valve covers and see what casting number heads you have - if they are some really cheesy 1.72/1.50 valve heads you may have to re-route your priorities for engine upgrades - just a thought.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'd also start with the differential, I would get 3.73s and a posi unit in there, or swap in a complete diff from a 1990s impala SS (it bolts in).

Then put a shift kit in the transmission.

For the motor you could swap in a cheap 204/214 camshaft, it will work with the stock low compression but really help wake up the motor. You will want to put in new valve springs also to match it.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku

You should also re-curve the distributor, you can use a $10 kit to do it its not hard.

Once you've done all of these things you could put headers and an X-pipe on there. It should run in the 14s with the combo I listed here, and really should not cost you much to do!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Team Revolution

Last photo:

Whats the point of x pipes? What's so good about them? What about H pipes?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 AM
floppers forever

every one's taking about the rear end gear,well the last rearend i did was about $1000 in just parts now if you never takin an engine apart i'm pretty sure you've never done a rearend,this takes special tools and knowledge.you can screw this up baddly if you do not get it rite.now if you can find a rearend that is all together and just swap them out that would be better.
to change the tire diameter or just check the height,like if your running a 29 inch tall tire and switch to a 26 inch tall tire your rpm's will be higher at the same speed this will change the mph on the speedometer.your gas mileage just went down the tubes,this is the rearend now they want you to beef up the trans then what about the torque convertor,oh yeah by the way the engines still not making any more power but your just working it harder,BOOM!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Team Revolution

Last photo:

If I bought a edelbrock #2701 performer eps intake manifold and a holley 600 cfm carb #0-80457S, would I need to get an adapter to make that carb and the mainfold work together?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Team Revolution

Last photo:

Also, what valve springs should I get for running a 204/214 camshaft?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.