1979 C30 454 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1979 C30 454

Hello guys,

I have a 1979 C30 with the 454. The truck is going to be used as a DD + work truck, pulling brush and logs.

I've been looking into the summit racing cheapo headers, and then 3" back to undecided muffler. I'm new to v8's so i have no clue what H or X pipes do, or how they help performance/sound.

Also was thinking about changing the carb, and get rid of the q-jet. But ive also read, that if they're tuned right, then they are great carbs. Since im new to carb motors as well, i have no clue about how to tell if it is adjusted right, or even how to adjust it.

Last thing, and last thing that will be done is a cam. I've read that a 205/210 lift cam will work great for this motor. Any suggestions on cams? Also read that Comp Cams XE262h is a great cam aswell.

After these upgrades should i worry about the added power hurting the th400? Reason I ask is, I blew the tranny in my last car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Long tube headers and 2.5" dual exhaust. 2.5" in/out Dynomax or Magnaflow mufflers.
Then weld on a long 3.5" chrome tip on the end of the tail pipe to get that big pipes look..

These motors have a low low compression ratio. They do not respond to big cams unless the compression ratio is changed.
Head swap to a 60's era closed chamber 396-427 oval port head (96 to 101cc) or late gen VI BBC Vortec head. (99cc)
Or piston swap. Gets the cr up.
You can swap the factory th400 13" low stall torque converter for the converter from a
Th350 (12" diameter gives 2500 rpm stall behind a 454)
Keep the cam small 207 to 216@.050" . Factory valves springs need replaceing.

Keep the factory Qjet, a hi rise dual plane manifold helps.
You can tune up the Qjet with Edelbrock Qjet tuning parts.

all Factory BBC heads respond to home porting just like any other head.

Big cams need rpm, high compression and high gears. (especially with tall tires)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 PM

Exhaust:
I was planning on doing headers to straight pip to mufflers and then turndowns right before the rear axle. But 2.5" sounds good, i was just thinking 3", since thats the size of the collectors on the summit racing headers. Will it matter much which size exhaust i go with, since I'll be doing the cam?

Cam & Heads:
I'm guessing the 396-427 heads would be cheaper than vortec heads. So do you know what the casting number is on these. And will i need new valves, rockers, push-rods etc if i go with these heads?

Also, could I use a smaller head gasket to raise CR? or would this be bad idea? If I could do it, and not blow head gaskets left and right, how much do you think it would raise CR? If I'm not wrong, stock CR is 7.7:1 isn't it?

On the cam, the Comp Cams XE262h, is going to be way to big, or just a little to big? I really don't know much about specs on cams.

RPM Range: 1,300 - 5,600
Valve Lash: Hydraulic on both
Valve Timing: .006
Duration: Intake-262 Exhaust- 270
Lobe-Center Angle: 110
Duration @ .050" Lift: Intake-218 Exhaust-224
Intake Centerline: 106
Valve Lift: Intake-0.504 Exhaust-0.51
Lobe Lift: Intake-0.298 Exhaust-0.301

Torque Converter:
Im just wondering what a higher stall would help, with towing? Is something to with power loss? Or is it a strength thing?

Intake:
I haven't looked around, but the edelbrock 7164 looks promising.

After all of this, how much hp and tq do you think id be looking at?

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to get as much info on what I'm wanting to do with the motor, now, so I know what I need to save for, and research.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

For the exhaust, use jegs or summit headers, 2.5" pipe back to thrush turbo mufflers. It will sound great on a big block and free up a ton of power. Changing the cam in a low compression engine isn't going to do much for power. You'd be better off putting and intake and carb to go with the free flowing exhaust. A good ignition system always helps power and efficiency so that would be something to think about doing. If you will be driving the truck on the street a lot, the high stall converter will hurt gas mileage big time and you may fing the constant high rpms to be annoying over time.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
For the exhaust, use jegs or summit headers, 2.5" pipe back to thrush turbo mufflers. It will sound great on a big block and free up a ton of power. Changing the cam in a low compression engine isn't going to do much for power. You'd be better off putting and intake and carb to go with the free flowing exhaust. A good ignition system always helps power and efficiency so that would be something to think about doing. If you will be driving the truck on the street a lot, the high stall converter will hurt gas mileage big time and you may fing the constant high rpms to be annoying over time.
This is probably going to end up being a pretty nice build over time. I'm loving the cheaper parts than what im use to. $100-$200 is what all these parts are costing, so over time, i could see doing a complete engine build.

When you say ignition, just a better distributor, plugs & wires?
Also, im not sure, but the motor is HEI right? What is HEI and should i look for parts with this in mind?

Has anybody used/tried the e3 Diamond fire plugs? I ran them on my 4 cyl, and at the track shaved .1ish off the ET. And seen on powerblock, that they gained like 8hp-12hp on a bigger v8 motor(cant remember which motor).
Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

The hei is a big distributor with a coil on top. Tuning up the ignition system is a good idea. Pick up some ac delco plugs, a new coil, cap and rotor, and a good set of wires. I haven't heard of diamond fire plugs, i use ac delco and have not had any problems.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM

O, I see. Well thanks guys for all the information. I've got a pretty big list of parts, but hopefully, if I get enough work, ill have everything before fall.

The diamond fires, are suppose to be better because of the fuel and air is ignited because of the prong that's on them. If you go to they're website, they have an animation of what they do. I'm not sure if they work as advertised, but like I said, they did a dyne run with different sets of spark plugs. And the e3's made better power, and somehow got better mpg too.

Once again, thanks guys. you've been very, very helpful.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman-Racer
O, I see. Well thanks guys for all the information. I've got a pretty big list of parts, but hopefully, if I get enough work, ill have everything before fall.

The diamond fires, are suppose to be better because of the fuel and air is ignited because of the prong that's on them. If you go to they're website, they have an animation of what they do. I'm not sure if they work as advertised, but like I said, they did a dyne run with different sets of spark plugs. And the e3's made better power, and somehow got better mpg too.

Once again, thanks guys. you've been very, very helpful.
also, here is a link to the powerblock thing
http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/mediacenter.php
its the first and second video.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,023 Times in 855 Posts
Redman, with all due respect to you, if you did not buy the truck new and if you have not disassembled the motor and measured all the parts, then you have no idea what you have for a motor. Previous owners could have swapped in anything from a 396 to a 402 to a 427 to a tall deck 366 or 427. They all look pretty much the same from the outside. You need to find out what you have before you begin collecting parts for it. Here are two images I copied from google to show the difference in the standard deck (9.800" block deck height) BBC block and the tall deck (10.200" block deck height) BBC block. You can see that on the tall deck block, there is more material between the centerline of the top water pump bolt hole and the top of the block deck....

All I'm saying is, determine first whether you have a standard deck or tall deck block. Then let's go from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC 9.800 deck.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	49939   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC 10.200 tall deck.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	49940  
Old 11-10-2010, 06:07 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Check out the pricee on the 65,000v polished alum. HEI distributor and 10.5 mm pro comp spiral wires at www.kmjperformance.com I got both for around 70 bucks and it realy lit up my engine. they fit both sb and bb chevys.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Redman, with all due respect to you, if you did not buy the truck new and if you have not disassembled the motor and measured all the parts, then you have no idea what you have for a motor. Previous owners could have swapped in anything from a 396 to a 402 to a 427 to a tall deck 366 or 427. They all look pretty much the same from the outside. You need to find out what you have before you begin collecting parts for it. Here are two images I copied from google to show the difference in the standard deck (9.800" block deck height) BBC block and the tall deck (10.200" block deck height) BBC block. You can see that on the tall deck block, there is more material between the centerline of the top water pump bolt hole and the top of the block deck....

All I'm saying is, determine first whether you have a standard deck or tall deck block. Then let's go from there.

true, true. Could I not get the numbers off the block? instead of going all out and tearing it down and messuring.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,023 Times in 855 Posts
Quote:
true, true. Could I not get the numbers off the block? instead of going all out and tearing it down and messuring.
You don't have to tear anything down to determine standard from tall deck, but yes, check out the numbers....
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...gine-codes.asp
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
You don't have to tear anything down to determine standard from tall deck, but yes, check out the numbers....
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...gine-codes.asp
Ill have to do that tmw. I dont see why he would offer it as a 454, if it wasn't. He wasn't asking a whole lot for it, i only paid $600 for it. I'ma be pissed if it isn't though.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Ill have to do that tmw. I dont see why he would offer it as a 454, if it wasn't. He wasn't asking a whole lot for it, i only paid $600 for it. I'ma be pissed if it isn't though.
It would be cool if it was a 427 though.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
It would be cool if it was a 427 though.
knowing my luck, its probably a 302 or something lol. I know its not though, I guess either way, any BB wouldn't be bad then. It was raining today, so I didnt get out there and check the numbers.

Hopefully tmw. Plus hopefully ill get the insurance card too, so i can get tags and start pulling the trailer with it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.