1979 F250 Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1979 F250 Suspension

I have a 1979 Ford F250 Custom RWD. I would like to keep the stock height in the rear, but level it out in the front (raise a front a little bit). I would like to use 33"x12.5" tires. Here's my problem. I don't know if I want to change the rear suspension over to shocks and springs or should I keep it leaf-springs? Either way, I'm getting new suspension all the way around.

The other issue, I can't seem to find any leveling kits for my truck. I have built several tuners and I've ALWAYS used eibach suspension. They don't make anything for my truck (though I'm not surprised) and so now I don't know what company to turn to.

I want this truck to ride a little smooth but rather stiff. It's a big, heavy truck, so I need some serious suspension that's going to last a long time. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The reason you are not finding any aftermarket kits for modifying the suspension on your truck is the twin I-Beam suspension. The geometry of that IFS is a real challenge to tinker with and most of the typical solutions used on straight axle cars and A-arm IFS systems are not workable with the twin I-Beams. The heart of the problem is that if you raise of lower the front end at the spindle end of the I-Beam you throw the camber all out of whack. So either the entire beam must be raised or lowered OR the beam must be professionally "dropped" or "raised" by bending or by casting a new one from scratch.

There are beams manufactured for lowering your truck but I don't know of any for raising the truck (they could be out there, I just haven't seen them).

If you want to go to the effort you could move the entire beam by fabricating a new bracket on the pivot end of the I-Beam then altering the spring mount on the spindle end.

I have a little bit of discussion on modifying the I-Beam suspension in my journals here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse= and here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=5&reverse=1 Obviously this is not in a stock frame but the pictures and descriptions might give you an idea of how to approach this modification. Here is a VERY simple sketch of the twin I-Beam geometry for the setup in my sedan/delivery.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.