1979 Trans am BIG electrical issues. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1979 Trans am BIG electrical issues.

Hey everyone, I have a pretty serious issue here. I have been working on my 1979 Trans am trying to revive it and I have recently ran into some electrical issues. The previous owner smashed the steering collum to get it running instead of just waiting till the owner before him could find the keys. Well I had a spare one and after fixing that one up a little, I stuck it in today. The plan was to bolt it up, and take the T/A down to my friends house to start cutting and replacing floor panels. Well just before we bolted the collum into place my buddy said why not stick the cluster back in now what we have more room. I had previously taken the dash bezel out to get back there and fix some issues with the heater, rear defrost switch, lights, and see if there was any more lose wiring back there. So we put the cluster in, turned the key on to check it out and the gauge cluster has gone NUTS! Before we put it in the head lights wouldn't work, but once we put it in, they work, good! But now NONE of the gauges work. When you put the turn signals on every gauge twitch's with it, except for the fuel and volt gauge, they remain dead to the world. When you start it up the tach pins itself and when you goose the throttle, it dances around a little but thats all. The light for the rear defrost stays on, the high beam indicator light on the gauge cluster comes on when the running lights are on, and it turns off when the high beams are actually on. I tried to undo the work I did, unhook the battery, re hook it, nothing wants to work. All that happened was that one turn signals indicator light turned on, and remained on no matter what, didn't even flash. Then later I go out to try the clutch out since I just adjusted it, I hook the battery up, fire it up, and everything works right, but when I start checking the lights, the turn signal indicator light doesn't work, the high beam indicator light doesn't work, and all the sudden the guages go back to the way they where. I didnt cut anything, it was all plug and play. The rear defrost wasn't plugged in properly so I fixed that, and thats that. Other then that I changed the bulbs out in the gauge cluster and thats absolutely all. After this work was done, the key buzzer and seat belt buzzer have started to work proprly, so I guess that could be a upside! On second thought, maybe not, anyone who has ever heard that horrid key buzzer sound knows what I mean I have NO idea what the hell happened here, but I would REALLY appreciate some help. I swear its a joke sometimes, one step forward, two steps back. Anyways, I have faith you guys will know whats going on! Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 AM

Last photo:

Might have a connector plugged in slightly off, and it's not making a good ground.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
Might have a connector plugged in slightly off, and it's not making a good ground.
Yea, I am starting to think its not being grounded properly. I will give it another look today.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Sounds a lot like a missing instrument panel ground. Everything is going crazy because the gauges are finding a path to ground through other accessories.

On my GMC truck the instrument panel ground is a separate black wire, and the factory grounded it to the bracket for the emergency brake pedal. I'd look in that area for a dangling black wire. You will be amazed at how many problems are fixed when the instrument panel is properly grounded.

Bruce
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Yea, I hooked up a quick ground and BOOM! Problem solved! Had a feeling it was a missing ground. Now it all works except for the turn signal indicator lights. Think I will have another look tomorrow when its not dark and raining out Thanks everyone! Hotrodders kicks ***!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 AM

Last photo:

Good to hear you got it somewhat fixed!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.