Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1979 Volvo 264 2.66 liter V6 idle problem
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sounds like a vacuum leak some where. The fact is starts good when cold tells me the thermo time switch must be spraying the cold start injector. It may not have a thermo time switch but it will have a cold start injector on an old model like that.I dont have a book or any info available to me at the moment but i am calling on memory only. Now it can be an air leak at the cylinder head to intake area or a split or fallen off vacuum hose.but I think it best to start at the air flow sensor.Its probably the old style with the door inside that opens as airflow opens it. It regulates the fuel. The more air the farther open the door hence the more fuel goes into the engine.SO check the hose from the airflow meter to the intake manifold first. Take it off carefully as it may be kinda soft from age and if it tears you will need another one. Any splits or cracks can allow air in and wont pull the airflow meter door open and will run lean as less fuel is delivered and will cause it to stall and surge. Probably not a big hole yet which is why it still accelerates ok.as the hole gets bigger it will idle worse.I have taped over some spots in a few of them in the past as a temporary measure and it has worked.