1980 350 Chevy C10 Bogging down!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1980 350 Chevy C10 Bogging down!!

I need to know if any one else has had this problem before and what they did?

I've got a truck that in the morning when its cold its starts up perfect and will idle, when I drop it in gear rpm drops a little but when i put the gas on even BARELY it bogs all the way down then slowly rumbles up in rpm. I cant explain well how it sounds when i step on the gas, i guess its like a boat motor underwater till it smooths out ha.

So I've checked vacuum leaks I do have a bolt on the intake manifold that will not tighten or loosen but its one of the bolts that holds the throttle cable bracket....

timing is okay and im going to re-do mounting the intake manifold and re-do the valves....

brand new HEI the cap seems like its got a little carbon build up on the brass contact points inside the cap? New wires, my carb is a new carter afb and Im going to replace the springs for CO's elavation but the two adjustment screws on the front seem like they ar not doing crap either way I adjust!

IDK what to do.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Sounds as if your choke is not adjusted properly. IF you allow the engine to warm up, does it run better?
If your idle mixture screws(the 2 at the front) dont change the idle rpm at all when you adjust them, then the passages are either plugged, or you primary throttle plate is open too far.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM

I have the choke adjusted pretty close to perfect. There was no problem for a good 2 weeks or so when i first installed my carb now theres just problems showing up. granted i bought the truck and the guy hadnt done anything for 2 years on it...... i just have a feeling its fuel related but not sure...
Old 04-02-2011, 04:04 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Put a vacuum gauge on it and see what the reading is, especially when it starts bogging. You might have a clogged cat.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:59 AM
1984 C-10 383 SBC

I have an 1984 C-10, when I had the stock exhaust had a similar problem. The problem turned out to be the heat riser valve on the passenger side exhaust manifold was not opening fully, also a plugged catalaytic converter. I eliminated both and the 305 ran like I gained 50 H.P.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Hmmm I could try that. Its a custom exhaust but it has some crappy old cats with the mog tube. Its really pissin me off cuz when you get on it eventually its okay but if you just try crusing its soooo terrible and will bog like its misfiring a bunch or something then dies when you let off the exhaust??????? Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.