1980 Camaro Replacing both Front end finders, before I start help needed... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 08:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy 1980 Camaro Replacing both Front end finders, before I start help needed...

HI to all!, My car, 1980 Camaro Z28

I am going to be replacing both of the Front Fenders, and also the nose of the Camaro.

I have purchased Original GM replacements from a friend in Hudson NY. I have them at home.

Any tips on the installment would be Wonderful. I am thinking with original GM replacements, no such Buying from other countries, I should not have that many issues,, I hope I am right on that.

Juicer

Advertisement

Last edited by Juicer; 07-16-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Go big or go home

Last photo:

keep track of all the spacers and place them back in the same place it will make for much less adjustment troubles still will prolly have to lpay with em since nothing is perfect ever
Old 07-16-2004, 09:16 PM

Thanks 77Z,

I have noticed many Spacers on the original Nose and apper to be glued there, so Hopefully none will fall of when I remove the nose,

Also, in what order do I replace the front end peices as in Nose, And left from Fender and Right.

Juice
Old 07-17-2004, 01:08 AM

Installing fenders

When you install body panels always start aligning from the rear and work forward. Before bolting on the fenders make sure your doors are aligned with the quarter panels and rockers if the alignment is good and your hinges are tight bolt on your fenders starting at the rear of the fender at the fire wall .keep track of the body shims and how many were in each location when you remove the old fenders ,install a fender with old shims when tighteng the bolts make sure your door to fender gap is even and the fender is flush withe the door, you have to make sure that you have enough gap to open the door without hitting the fender, if your fender is not aligned with the door you will adjust your alignment by removing or adding shims, it somtimes takes a little trial and error, if your fender is to high at the top and bottom you could try taking one shim from the top and put it on the bottom, somtimes the bottom of the fender looks good and the top is high and the center is in to far, you remove a shim from the top and leave it out when you tighten the top bolt the center will move out. After the rear of the fenders are aligned bolt on your front panels just snug the bolts, and install the hood hinges and hood , don't close the hood yet! you need to square the hood opening I measure across from the rear corner of one fender to the other side to the of corner of the hood opening and do the same from the other side and adjust the front to square the opening and then carfully lower the hood and adjust it to fit the opening. If the hood fits but is to high in the rear you adjust the hood hinge by loosning the rear hinge bolt and lowering the rear of the hinge or if its as low as it will go you could raise the front of the hinge.and if its to low you do the oposite, takes some time but it will make a difference in the overall look of your car. I hope this will help if you have a problem or have a question I'll check back every day and will be glad to be of help.

When you install body panels always start aligning from the rear and work forward. Before bolting on the fenders make sure your doors are aligned with the quarter panels and rockers if the alignment is good and your hinges are tight bolt on your fenders starting at the rear of the fender at the fire wall .keep track of the body shims and

When you install body panels always start aligning from the rear and work forward. Before bolting on the fenders make sure your doors are aligned with the quarter panels and rockers if the alignment is good and your hinges are tight bolt on your fenders starting at the rear of the fender at the fire wall .keep track of the body shims and

Old 07-17-2004, 06:22 PM

repeating

I don;t know what caused the repeating on that answer at the end?????
Old 07-25-2004, 12:13 PM

Thanks Jhenery

I appreciate your reply on my upcoming job to replace those parts. Now that I have the info you provided and others too, I am sure I now know how to start this job and complete it. I will let you know how it goes.

Also, if you know, will I be able to change the Heater Core once I remove the fender on the passenger side of the car? i have been needing to replace it for some time now. And it will be better than I do so that I will be ready to run the heater this winter.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Juice,
Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 PM

Nose peice

where did you find a replacement nose peice?Im 17 and also have a 1980 Camaro. It was hit about 4 months ago in the front end. the nose peice is ruined and i've been looking for one for a while.it would be awsome if you could tell me where i can find one.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Try Goodmark Industries.
Click "Muscle Car Parts" to find 1970-81 Camaro.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

This can turn into a time consuming job! I did this recently for the first time and put a lot of hours into it. Be careful you don't chip your paint on the door where it gets close to the fender, I chipped mine up pretty good on the edge. Maybe put some tape on there.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.