1980 Camaro Steering column - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1980 Camaro Steering column

I have a 1980 Camaro i just got a few months ago. When i went to trailer it to bring it home, the ignition was sticking in the start position, keeping the starter engaged. SO i had to stall it out to get it to turn off.

When I started to work on it when i got home, i took out the old ignition cylinder (still in the start position) and went to replace it with the new one. It wouldn't go, so my father and i tried messing with it for about an hour or so.

Then my father took the steering wheel off. Then he took apart the steering column up just past the ignition.

Needless to say, after several more hours of jimmying and finagling, it still isnt fixed.

So im thinking I might need to rebuild the steering column, but i dont know.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? got any clues?[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MYCAMARO2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	21868  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Find the ignition switch on top of the lower part of the column under the dash. It's flat and has a boatload of wires hooked to it. Take it off and notice the hole in the bottom where the linkage rod from the lock cylinder engaged it. Move it back and forth between the different positions, and see if it sticks in START with it disconnected from the column. Sticky, get a new switch. Not sticky, problem in the column.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Help

How do you get the ignition switch out? I have removed the steering wheel and the horn pad now what?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbnatkn
How do you get the ignition switch out? I have removed the steering wheel and the horn pad now what?
Are you talking about the lock cylinder or the electrical switch? The actual switch is mounted to the top of the column, under the dash. It is operated with a pushrod from the lock cylinder. To access the switch, you need to drop the column. If you're asking about removing the lock cylinder, once you remove the wheel you need to remove the lock plate (requires a lock plate spring compressor) and the turn signal switch. There will be a small opening at about the 1 o'clock position. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to depress the lock tab while pulling the lock cylinder out.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudderbyspirit87
I have a 1980 Camaro i just got a few months ago. When i went to trailer it to bring it home, the ignition was sticking in the start position, keeping the starter engaged. SO i had to stall it out to get it to turn off.

When I started to work on it when i got home, i took out the old ignition cylinder (still in the start position) and went to replace it with the new one. It wouldn't go, so my father and i tried messing with it for about an hour or so.

Then my father took the steering wheel off. Then he took apart the steering column up just past the ignition.

Needless to say, after several more hours of jimmying and finagling, it still isnt fixed.

So im thinking I might need to rebuild the steering column, but i dont know.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? got any clues?[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG]
Before you start pulling the column apart, use a flat blade screwdriver in the hole that the lock cylinder goes into and see if you can rotate the part inside the column. If it can be rotated back and forth (and the car starts and runs and can be turned off) then the lock cylinder is the problem. Turn the screwdriver to the OFF position before trying to install the new lock cylinder.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:50 PM

Help

I took off the wheel and all the screws inside where the wheel goes and it still won't come off.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

After you get the turn-signal switch out of the way, there's a vertical slot or hole in the cast-pot-metal part. It may be covered with some casting flash. Look around 2:00 or thereabouts. Stick a tiny screwdriver or other tool in the slot and depress the spring-loaded latch at the bottom. This should release the cylinder. The cylinder has to be in one certain position to come out, either ACC or RUN, maybe another, depending on the year.

Should be kinda like this Jeep unit:

Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 AM

i have a 89 s10 same problem i cut the alternator wire running to battery took 110 wire ran it to a light switch in cab...works great

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.