Hot Rod Forum banner

1980 chevy 3/4 ton trailer brake hookup

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
ok i got a trailer brake box from a buddy how would i go about how to hook up this brake box in ma truck it already has the trailer hook up in bumper but how would i go about doin this??? :confused:

#3 ·
Do you have a 7 pin hook up at the bumper now, or is it just the basic brake, turn, tail lamp hook up? To hook up the brake controller you'll need to hook the brake wire from the box to a relay, and a large (10 guage if I remember correctly) from that to the brake pin in the rear connector.

#5 ·
You can get the basic four pin trailer hookup using a T-One adapter that plugs into your wiring behind the back bumper.

The four wires are for:
Taillights
Right Turn
Left Turn
Ground
You will probably also have to switch to a heavy duty flasher for the turn signals.

To get the other three pins (including brakes) you need:

Black wire - constant 12 volts to power the trailer or trailer battery
Blue wire - trailer brake activation
Purple wire - backup lights

This site has some useful diagrams. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Bruce

#6 ·
You still need to figure out what type controller you have...... it's easy to hook up, basicly it's a transmitter that transmits a signal to the other black box that's mounted on the trailer. The box on the trailer applies current to the electro-magnetic brake caliper thingies which in-turn apllies the brakes etc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.