1980 Corvette Carburetor Set Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1980 Corvette Carburetor Set Question

Hi,

First time on the site and I can see the people here know what they're talking about, so I'm taking a crack at it. I recently put together my cash to get ahold of a mint 1980 Corvette (383 cu in bored stroker, 4spd manual Muncie trans), and I plan on running dual-quads with a matched set of carburetors (500cfm each).

Problem is, I can't determine whether the carbs should be manual choke, electrical, or whether I should even be using 1000cfm at all. I know injectors would be simpler and more efficient, but I'm looking for that classic Corvette look with the air cleaner in plain view. I also know that I'm going to have to run an MSD ignition and high performance distributor.

Lastly, I'm thinking about supercharging it. Suggestions?

Thanks!

(I don't why I couldn't just be into rice burners like most 18 year olds)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Unless the compression is low around the 8:1 ratio, super charging it is out.
I`m not sure what you mean by classic look, but the last time dual quads were on a corvette were over 40 years ago. Anyways, dual quads, and supercharging both will require more hood clearance than stock.
What are you looking for the car to do? or do you just want a certain look?
A 383 is a stout small block when built correctly. A single 4 barrel is really all you need. If it were mine and it were mint, I`d do the least to it as possible
as I`d want to preserve it. But that`s just me.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM

By classic look, I meant the chrome/aluminum blower scoop that are common among "rat rods." So I plan on cutting an appropriate hole through the stock hood. Now as for the carbs (forgive me if I sound naive), I was told by many good mechanics to run a matched set, preferably between 400 & 500 cfms each, not sure why. The blower scoop is also made to slide nicely over the carbs, which goes back to the look I'm trying to achieve. My main concern now is how many cfms I should be running (regardless of the duals); 800 or 1000 total, and why?

Oh, and I did a little more research and found that you were right about the supercharging, so that idea has been scrapped. (A few more thousand I can use towards everything else )
Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have a 80 also
if you want to add a blower, how is the rest of the motor to take the extra power, like DV said what about the compression your at now plus the camshaft , heads and all the other stuff.
It has to be built as a combination , not add a part here & there along the way or it will cost you in the long run. Got allot of cash I hope.
LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 03:44 PM

Lol 80, juggling college and a hobby like this isn't easy, but I'll earn and spend whatever it takes to get it done right the first time. Now here's what I know for sure:

1) Compression is nowhere near as low as 8:1 .
2) Motor was rebuilt (and bored) to accommodate fuel injectors.
3) Previous owner pulled injectors for dual quads (trying to achieve the look I am currently pursuing).
4) Previous owner failed with newly rebuilt carburetor as it was not a matched set.
5) Even after getting the Vette to start with whatever carb he was using, it STILL had problems, possibly due to low performance ignition and distributor (or so I was told).

If the previous problems did not stem from the carburetor, distributor, or ignition (or all three), then it looks like I'm going to face more than finding a suitable carburetor! So before I even continue searching for carbs, what should I be sure of in terms of "the camshaft, heads, and other stuff" with regard to my 383?

And just for clarity, the blower is really just a hood scoop for the air cleaner and nothing more (not the ones involved in superchargers, which DV factored out). Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

[QUOTE=TheCollector]Hi,

Quote:
First time on the site and I can see the people here know what they're talking about, so I'm taking a crack at it. I recently put together my cash to get ahold of a mint 1980 Corvette (383 cu in bored stroker, 4spd manual Muncie trans), and I plan on running dual-quads with a matched set of carburetors (500cfm each).
Welcome to HRBB ....IMHO stick to a single 4 barrel.
Quote:
Lastly, I'm thinking about supercharging it. Suggestions?
if this is all new to you,,,don't
Quote:
(I don't why I couldn't just be into rice burners like most 18 year olds)
good for you, just slow down and do your research, being a gear head is better than rice but don't get in a rush and keep it simple. sounds like you need to take stock of exactly what you have first, find out who built the motor and ask as many questions as you can, as you mentioned find out what type of internals were used including piston type, rod type, cam specs, head specs,etc etc etc and reassure yourself of what you have to start with, then finish it up one step at a time. There is good stuff happening here on HRBB, take it slow and listen up it will help you.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM

TheCollector, Read your PM
Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10

Welcome to HRBB ....IMHO stick to a single 4 barrel.
Thanks for the welcome. Now that I've been told to stick to a single more than once, I'm interested in the reasoning. Why a single four barrel? And more importantly, would I still be able to run those quads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision

the last time dual quads were on a corvette were over 40 years ago.
Call me crazy, but I want to bring back something that's been forgotten. I'll run EIGHT carburetors if I have to, as long as those quads are bolted up. Tell me what will work, and your opinions on what will work best (if you wish to do so). Laziness is not an option for me, so I will do as much research as it takes to find the right carb, I've come to here as a starting point. My goal is to learn through others' experience and knowledge, research, and patience; not mistakes. Thanks again in advance for the responses.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

"Call me crazy, but I want to bring back something that's been forgotten. I'll run EIGHT carburetors if I have to, as long as those quads are bolted up."

If you want the LOOK it has to be a 409, period. Nothing else will even come close .

DualQuad 409

DualQuad SBC
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM

You live near me so I will help you tune the two 4's in and help with the correct combo you need.
I have run a cross ram intake for years without any problem.
I can help you with a single or dual quad setup.
I have 6 duce's also I have been waiting for something to put them on.
It's all in the correct combination.

Last edited by 1BAD80; 08-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Awesome sites Bodyman, especially the second one. And thanks 80, I really don't know how to thank you. I also see what you meant by having the right combo. That means my current cams simply won't do, and would partially explain why the previous owner failed. I can see that finding the best ones is going to be an adventure in itself.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but new cam along with bigger/more carburetor(s) is going to create more exhaust, and therefore installing better heads is in order, not to mention carb tuning.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM

First off we have to look at everything you have on the car and want to have on it. Then figure what you need.
Then what are your plans on driving it, Street, street/strip, strip.
Most of this we can do by phone or regular emails.
This Forum is not for chat.
You can give a update when all thing's are figured out.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 AM

[QUOTE=TheCollector]Hi,

I don't believe a Muncie 4-speed was available in a 1980. Unless someont changed it, it should be a BW ST10.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM

You must be confused with a different model Glen, because 4-speeds were widely used in 80 Vettes (although not as common as automatics):

http://www.vettefacts.com/C3/1980.aspx

Anywho, I realize that I need more than just carburetors and cams to run dual quads, and that I simply don't have sufficient information as of now. I'm going to start by planning the right combo and determining precisely what I have, THEN I'll bring up this topic with regards to my entire setup, not just the carbs. Thanks again for all the help, especially 1bad80.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollector
You must be confused with a different model Glen, because 4-speeds were widely used in 80 Vettes (although not as common as automatics):

http://www.vettefacts.com/C3/1980.aspx

Anywho, I realize that I need more than just carburetors and cams to run dual quads, and that I simply don't have sufficient information as of now. I'm going to start by planning the right combo and determining precisely what I have, THEN I'll bring up this topic with regards to my entire setup, not just the carbs. Thanks again for all the help, especially 1bad80.
4 speed transmissions were used in 1980 'vettes, but they were NOT Muncies. Unless changed, stock transmission should be a BW ST10. That was what I was trying to point out to you.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.