1980 Ford Ranger XLT w/ 351M engine and C6 trans. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1980 Ford Ranger XLT w/ 351M engine and C6 trans.

I just purchased this truck 2 weeks ago and I have a few questions that I hope you all can help me with. The truck is in great shape with all of the chrome accents still intact. The only thing that I know has been done is the motor has been rebuilt about 1 year ago. Above all it runs great and a is tight structurally. The questions I have follows:

1. Is this engine considered a Cleveland?

2. I'm getting terrible fuel mileage. What can you recommend I do to increase my mpg?

3. Is a 4 barrel carborator interchangeable with this engine? If so, are there any equipment changes that I have to make?

4. What was the factory HP rating on this engine?

5. The truck is kind of slow accelerating, will changing the rear-end gear ratio help give the truck better acceleration?

6. I'm considering fixing this truck up more. Before I sink alot of money into this project, do you think that the truck may possible become a collectors item?

I tried to be breif, so I hope that the questions I asked aren't to much. I ya'll can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thnks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfly
2. I'm getting terrible fuel mileage. What can you recommend I do to increase my mpg?

6. I'm considering fixing this truck up more. Before I sink alot of money into this project, do you think that the truck may possible become a collectors item?
mielage from a 351M? good luck! what are you getting now? a ranger is fairly light so it should be bareable

I wouldnt expect a 1980 ranger to get anywhere near collector unless it was all original, low low mielage, and mint, and even then... theres tons of them around. I say have fun with it.

any pics?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I will try to answer your questions simply.

A 1/2 ton F150 Ranger is not a light vehicle and IMO will never be any collectable.
Desirable to someone maybe, but not collectable.

An M engine is similar in design to the C. Both have the thermostat in the "timing cover" exiting straight up, unlike the other Ford engines. Basicly the M bolts in like a big block, the C like a small block. If it is an M, it could be a 351 or a 400. Externally identical.

It is impossible to know what happened at the rebuild, such as cam, cam timing, and compression ratio, which was very low when new, or even if it became a 400.

Factory hp was about 140-150, an engine designed for torque during the low compression smog era.

Gear ratio hovers around 3.00- 3.25. More gear is irrelavent, especially since you want gas mileage, which is an unreasonable expectation for that vehicle/engine combination. 13 on the highway trip would be good. Your mileage may vary.

Depending on what you want to do with the truck....... remember....spending $ 1000 to fix up the engine could go a long way towards buying gas.

The first thing I would do is get a good CompCams 4x4 or RV cam, then headers, then a super dist tune up.... Beyond that the money goes down the pit quite rapidly with little power rewards. A 4 bbl carb is a total waste of $$. IMO.

Ford Guy
x

Last edited by xntrik; 12-30-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 AM

I've got a 79 F-150 4x4 with a 400M/C6/3.50 rear. As built by Ford,it got about 10MPG on average. With headers,dual exhaust,torque cam,Edelbrock SP2P manifold,650 Holley/vac. secondaries, dist. recurve,33" tires and speedo correction, I got it up to 15MPG, providing I keep it out of the secondaries on the carb.The truck pulls a 6000 lb trailer very well.
If your looking for a daily driver/work truck,you've got a good start. If your looking for a hotrod/collectors item,this probably ain't gonna happen.There are several companies making and selling body and trim parts for these trucks,and there are guys restoring them,but I don't see them ever having the popularity of the mid 50's Fords.

George
Old 12-30-2005, 04:39 PM

thnks guys. I appreciate all the information that was given. Sorry it took me so long to reply back. I just had an opportunity to check the responses. With everything said, lets eliminating the idea of saving gas and concider that I have very minimal experience with engine modifications. Is there any combination that I could use to get 300 hp out of this engine? Don't be to hard on me guys. The answer may be right before me, but I'm asking out of inexperience. Thnks.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfly
thnks guys.

Is there any combination that I could use to get 300 hp out of this engine? Don't be to hard on me guys. The answer may be right before me, but I'm asking out of inexperience.

Thnks.
IMO
It does respond to most all Cleveland upgrades but the block is taller and intakes are exclusive. Years ago there were aftermarket intakes available.
Your compression is low and those are open chamber heads with large ports, so most everything is against finding 300 flywheel hp without a total rebuild (pistons) and lots of $$. I would not consider rebuilding as a 351M but make it a 400 at rebuild.

Headers, exhaust, cam, dist, and 2 bbl carb should net you around 220 within a reasonable limit of 5000 rpm. That is a solid 47 % power increase from stock. You might pick up another 10 above 4000 with a 4 bbl. $$.

If you decide to stick with the cam you have, I would suggest installing a '71 model timing gear and chain, or an aftermarket one specifically designed without the "cam retard" the factory used. I would degree any cam for the most cranking compression and definitely do the distributor curve.

ditto my first post
Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 PM
no progect,no money,pissed off

did you have to notce the frame to get the engine in on the passenger side???
Old 01-01-2006, 07:15 PM

Prior to the intro of the actual downsized Ranger model pick-up,Ranger and Ranger XLT were trim packages on the fullsize F series trucks.The truck that is the subject of this thread is a fullsize that was available with the 351M from the factory.Thus,no frame notching needed.

George
Old 01-02-2006, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

http://www.projectbronco.com/Technic...the_rumors.htm

http://www.projectbronco.com/Technic...ical_index.htm
Old 01-03-2006, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

I had a 78 F150 with a 351-M C-6 and 2.75 rear gears and I got around 18 on the highway but it had a RV cam and dual exhaust. Jeff

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.