1980 Malibu build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1980 Malibu build

Hey guys. New to this forum and cars. I'll just jump right in. My dad and his dad were some of the biggest hotrodders around in my small town so they have accumulated race cars over the years that have just been sitting. Im in college and im out for the summer. I currently have a fulltime job and have been saving to get one running. Three of the cars have sentimental value to my dad but this Malibu doesnt so he has given me the green light to build. My plan is to build and sell amd put that money into one of the other cars. Im in the process of getting a title for it as it currently doesnt have one but is not stolen. This car was solely used for racing so it isn't exactly built for the street. While it was sotting, someone stole the heads, carburetor, distributor and intake. It has been sitting like this for a good year or so under a roof and enclosed but not in a controlled climate. Some rust has formed on the cylinders but i dont elieve its pitted. What i know about the car:
Flat top pistons
I dont know what cam but i believe it to have .510 lift or so. It might be screwed from the heads being off though.
The bottom end has een balanced so i dont beliee it will be an issue
Turbo 350 trans with a torque converted that was hammered on and might not come off. Looks like i'll end up buying it but it is for racing.
12 bolt with 5-something gears
My goal is to maximize the value of this car to sell without pouring tons of money into it. I realize all this costs quite a bit of money but i believe selling it will have anout enough to build one of the other race cars so i dont know if it should be built for the street, strip, or both. Any input for this newbie is much appreciated. I will answer whatever questioms i can cause im sure i havent posted enough information.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 AM

welcome to the forum
sell the car as a roller as it will likely cost more to build than you will recoop..
trouble is,even if you can build it cheap with parts you have,it will be built the way you want it,not the way I want it.
Exception would be if it was purpose build for a particular class.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

I appreciate the reply. Any idea what it would be worth? Should i pull the shortblock and tranny?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
welcome to the forum
sell the car as a roller as it will likely cost more to build than you will recoop..
trouble is,even if you can build it cheap with parts you have,it will be built the way you want it,not the way I want it.
Exception would be if it was purpose build for a particular class.
x2 plus gary ,a member here is looking for a 79-81 2 door..

depending on where you to live and cars shape.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I have spent the better part of my adult life buying and selling rollers.Actually turned into a business.First when a O/P doesn't list his location,then no pictures,then the owner isn't even him,that could get complicated in a hurry.Here in NYS I went through a 1yr and a haft working through the system to get a title on a trailer I bought on a bill of sale.I had to wait for a appointment for a inspection by the DMV where they where looking for any stolen parts and if found would impound the trailer on the spot and jail me.It costs 150 bucks for the inspection to boot.I swear to god that I would never do that again.Some race cars don't have titles,but it is nice to have one.Here again the O/P hasn't listed a vin number so a Car-Fax isn't possible.

After you guys asked where he was located and he didn't reply...............well he does have alot going against him.Again if I was even remotely interested,the deal would be with his dad.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

The purpose of my post dodnt have anything to do with my location or how i got the car, so i didnt think it mattered. If you must know, i live in central KY. My father pulled the car out with my uncles wrecker of a pond after the guy had a heart attack and died and ran off into the pond. The guys family lived in Arizona so they werent worried about the car. My dad just wanted to make it into a race car so he wasnt worried about a title at that point in time. My dad is a very honest man. I dont doubt his story one bit and neither would anyone that k ows him. I talked to the judge and he said it would be no problem getting a title, just to get a copy of te guys death certificate. I go to court next week. I dont have a problem with giving you a VIN if i thought you needed that info. I was just asking for advice on what i should do with the car because i already hae the title under control. I dont think anyone asked me directly where i lived so i didnt see a need in telling. Im sorry to get you all riled up man.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

What pictures do you want? I can take pictures of the car sometime today if you like but what are you looking for? The rust on the cylinder walls? Or just the general shape of the car?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

What are you selling???. Pictures???.101 selling is.........

A pond dunk??. That is as bad as a flood victim. Convince me it's worth considering with the pictures that speak a thousand words..............
Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
What are you selling???. Pictures???.101 selling is.........

A pond dunk??. That is as bad as a flood victim. Convince me it's worth considering with the pictures that speak a thousand words..............

gar gary, wow, they kid was going to build a racer then SELL it..
a few of us, say he'd do better just selling it as a roller, and I say you where in the market..
don't know where you 're going with your post.
but if you read his o/p he was thinking build it. then sell..
might want to be a tad nicer..
a pond dunk.. it's gonna be a race car, it taking a dunk, don't mean crap..
Old 05-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered

Get the title under control and sell as is...either way its going to be tough.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticMoney View Post
My goal is to maximize the value of this car to sell without pouring tons of money into it. I realize all this costs quite a bit of money but i believe selling it will have anout enough to build one of the other race cars so i dont know if it should be built for the street, strip, or both.
Won't work. It will require more money to make the car run and presentable for sale than the car will be worth on the open market and you'll be upside down in the car. (negative equity).
Old 05-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

I appreciate the replies. Is there anyway i can get an appraisal of some sort from you guys? The interior is not stripped. Still has airbags. No rust on the body and paint is great. 12 bolt with i believe to be 5.38 gears. Minispool. Idk what other info you would need as a roller so just lemme know if you need some more info. It hailed here so i wasnt really in te mood to get wet to take pics. Will try to get some up soon though.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
Quote:
I appreciate the replies. Is there anyway i can get an appraisal of some sort from you guys? The interior is not stripped. Still has airbags. No rust on the body and paint is great. 12 bolt with i believe to be 5.38 gears. Minispool. Idk what other info you would need as a roller so just lemme know if you need some more info. It hailed here so i wasnt really in te mood to get wet to take pics. Will try to get some up soon though.
1980 Chevrolet Malibu Sport 2 Door Coupe Value, Prices & Specs | NADAguides | NADA 1980 Chevrolet Malibu Sport Book Value & 1980 Chevrolet Malibu Sport Market Price
Old 05-19-2013, 04:27 PM

sounds like the parts are worth more than the car?,,
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The no rust,visible that is, is important.Thing is water getting into places you never dreamed of and corrosion being a factor.Pretty much a hot electrical system hitting pond water is a throw away.

Gearheadslife opinion aside,I have spent yrs flip selling race rollers.There is no value in selling turn key cars.Period.So forget building anything.

Convince me with pictures it is worth considering and you'll be able to convince anyone.Pictures of common areas the normally rust on these car's bodies and frame.Like the spot on the frame that starts to kick up where the lower rear control arm is.

Remember it is money and time at risk for the buyer and most are aware of the world wide web to the extent of the range of sellers who you don't know out there.Then supply the pictures with that in mind from the point of view of a buyer.It's NOT personal,it's money.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.