1980 Trans Am TBI Conversion wiring? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1980 Trans Am TBI Conversion wiring?

Greetings all!

My name is Jason. I have been lurking and searchin for a while... LUV the site.

Now with that out of the way. I purchased a 1990 Chevy Caprice that was originally a Highway patrol vehicle. It is my donor vehicle for the motor and tranny/ fuel parts for the 1980 trans am. I have remove and labeled the harness from the car. (under the hood part and under the dash part, and the ecm.
My first ? is in regards to the fuseblock and bulkead connector from the caprice do i need to plan to transplant these into the Trans AM or not?
Which wires need to be hooked up from my tbi harness to what wires in the original harness?
Motor and Trannny are mounted along with complete harness and ECU out of DONOR vehicle, I just cant get it to turn over.
Thanks for any help !

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

i would suggest buying a stand alone harness for the TBI rather then splice the 2 car harnesses together
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Are the Stand alone harnesses any different than the one I have? Any recomendations on a brand?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I disagree. You don't need a standalone harness if you understand basic electronic circuits. You DO need to get a wiring diagram for both cars, however. You may need to adapt the Caprice fuse box if your original one lacks the sufficient number of circuits. I assume this is a TBI motor?

The 1990 Caprice uses a separate wire harness for the TBI and associated emissions equipment that passes through a grommet in the firewall on the passenger side, below the heater box. You need to remove the inner fender to get to it. The computer is located in the passenger side kick panel. There is also a connection to the dash wire harness and ALDL connector. You'll need to come up with a VSS since the Caprice uses a VSS that mounts to the speedometer head. If the Caprice uses VATS, you'll need to either get a bypass box or have the function disabled in the PROM. Are you planning to try to use the PROM as-is or have it tailored for your car? Of course, you'll either need an in-tank fuel pump or an inline one. Keep in mind that TBI only uses a 20 PSI pump. The Carter P5001 is a good choice for an inline pump.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM

thanks for the replys. Yes this is a TBI motorI have allready removed the eninge/trans and wiring harness/ecu and even the caprice fusebox, from the caprice and installed into the trans am. I was hoping to allow the ECU to run the enigne and keep the trans am fuse block in place as is. I have allready modified the TA fuel tank with the Caprice pump. Thank you for telling me the info about the TBI pumps I was wondering about that.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I disagree. You don't need a standalone harness if you understand basic electronic circuits. You DO need to get a wiring diagram for both cars, however. You may need to adapt the Caprice fuse box if your original one lacks the sufficient number of circuits. I assume this is a TBI motor?

The 1990 Caprice uses a separate wire harness for the TBI and associated emissions equipment that passes through a grommet in the firewall on the passenger side, below the heater box. You need to remove the inner fender to get to it. The computer is located in the passenger side kick panel. There is also a connection to the dash wire harness and ALDL connector. You'll need to come up with a VSS since the Caprice uses a VSS that mounts to the speedometer head. If the Caprice uses VATS, you'll need to either get a bypass box or have the function disabled in the PROM. Are you planning to try to use the PROM as-is or have it tailored for your car? Of course, you'll either need an in-tank fuel pump or an inline one. Keep in mind that TBI only uses a 20 PSI pump. The Carter P5001 is a good choice for an inline pump.
I plan on using the PROM as is and leaving the motor stock. I need a VSS that screws into the transmission speedo hookup.
From what I can tell I need to supply power to the folowing wires:
IGN PWR
Battery Power
Ground Connection
Fuel Pump
AC Compressor
Crank Signal
What Else?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

http://v8s10.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.