1980 Vette, any thoughts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 10:13 PM
waynenewtoneVil

Last journal entry: plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1980 Vette, any thoughts?

Long story short. One of my buddy's grandfather owned a car lot. When he died(grandpa), he had quite a few rental properties and buisinesses. His estate divided up a bunch of his assets and sold them off, including the inventory of the car lot. Anyhow, all that's left is a 1980 Vette of some sort. It's still owned by the estate, but it is from what I gather, rather cosmetically challenged. I've been told it runs and moves, but the paint is shot, and it needs brake work. The interior was recently redone, but is was a shoddy job and the die rubs off on your clothing. They don't want to spend any more $$$ on fixing the car, they just want it gone. They offered it to me for $2k. What do you guys think? Is there anything to look for in this car, such as really bad common problems they are prone to? I know these cars are not the most desirable as far as Vettes go, anything good about them? The car is located in Fla. and I have not seen it yet, but like I said, it's complete and runs. Thanx!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Probably not a good deal for you. It doesn't sound reliable enough to drive home and shipping is expensive. A 1980 has nothing special that would drive the price up once restored. I just spent $9,000 in parts rebuilding a 1974 Corvette and could only get $10,000 when I sold it. Check out Ebay and see what they sell for. Big Blocks, 4-speeds, convertibles and a few special editions are all that get $$$.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:06 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

corvette=money

Their expensive to fix and few mechanics know anything about them. It is not a Chev. It's a Vette. Be prepared to do all the work yourself. It's not an investment. You will never get your money back. I have $30,000 in a 79. It's 450 HP 400 sb and it's a blast. I love it and would never part with it. I'd pay 2 grand for another one in a heartbeat.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:29 AM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:

See if they will come down on the price. It could be an interesting car to have, but probably not much of an investment.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:08 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

yours is a cherry

I bought mine. It was rolled over at 85 mph. See pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after_accident.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	4354   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_motor.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	4355   Click image for larger version

Name:	fiished_car.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	4356  

Last edited by bracketeer; 03-24-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:32 AM
waynenewtoneVil

Last photo:

Nice lookin' Vette. Shipping isn't really an issue, as I will be in Fla. next week to do a little racing in Gainesville. If my buddy from Co. doesn't get his car finished, then I'll have room on the trailer. Eh, we'll see. Are the brake systems as problematic as the older ones? My dad had to get all 4 of his calipers sleeved on his '66. As I recall, that cost a whole bunch of $$$. I have been looking on ebay a bit, and it looks like they go for $4k and up if they're not a total basket case. I do know the dealership had right around that much invested in it before they went out of buisiness. I'll admit I like to haggle, but this is the "friend of the family" price and don't want to insult them. I'll try to get some pix up when he sends them, or after we get back from the trip!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The 80 uses the same 4 piston brakes that they have had for years....redoing them with stainless steel sleeves is the best way to fix the brakes.. You will pay $$$ for that, but they shouldn't be a problem after that.

2 grand sounds like a good price for that car, but the 74-82s are about the least popular of all the Vettes.....

Also, watch for rust in the windshield post area...............and the frame.

Budget RVs
Old 03-24-2005, 07:53 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

Last week a 1976 rolled vette was on bids at our local insurance company and sold for 4600 Can. It was a real pos that might have been worth 8000 before it was rolled. Last year a guy sold an 82 that had an engine fire which ate the firewall and dash for 3500. he did have a dash to go with it but I didn't think it was worth that. Try and get it for 1000 and put it on ebay. If it runs and drives put a for sale sign in the window and you should get more than 2000 for it. Maybe you'll make a few bucks. If it even so much as drives someone will want it. There are lots of guys who want a vette when the price is low, even if they cost an arm and a leg to fix up. If you are thinking of keeping it though it's probably a money pit.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:34 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

I thought 1980 was the pace car year? wasnt it? Dont the pace car models fetch some dough?
the condition described seems to be worht less than 2k. I say try and talk them down to 1k.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:24 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

Pace cars were in 1978, 25th anniversary year.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Not a good deal at all!!! The only C3 that are inceasing in price is special additions and chrome bumper cars - the rest are neat cars but still kinda flat in pricing and not worth $$$$$$ to putting a complete restore into one.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:25 PM
waynenewtoneVil

Last photo:

Well, I did buy it. I shelled out $1500 for the whole thing, and drove it on the trailer under it's own power!

It's not in too bad of shape. I'm not looking for a resto project with this car, but am probably going to turn it into a race car. The things it need now are u-joint in the rear and a master cylinder. Any of you guys know where these may be found for a reasonable price? Also, do any of these parts interchange with any other GM products? Thanx!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The master is a Corvette only item, disk brakes front and rear. I have one in my garage, but the shipping wouldn't make it worthwhile for a used part.

The "U" joints are bigger than normal GM joints. Corvette only... they aren't that expensive.

Budget RVs
Old 04-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Brakes, U~joints

Doc Here...

Corvette Brake parts are Not interchangeable with other GM parts...(you may find other's to fit...If you like High heat Brake Fade!)..Even the fluid is not interchangeable..DO NOT run D.O.T 3 or they will fail under heat...

What U~joints are needed? Drive-shaft or half shaft? If it's Half shaft, check the Chamber on the rear suspension...It may be too much/too little stressing the half-shafts.

You Can find all these Brake parts and joints at Corvettecentral.com...

$1500 is a good price for that car, If it runs under it's own power and has no major problems...The one in my avatar, I bought as "Junk" 2 years ago...and restored it...In June, the insurance Company had it appraised for replacement value...25K...(Even though that's not the REAL world price..It does back off the guy's that ask if I want to sell it every time I drive it...Sure...Meet the appraised Value and it's yours!)

If It's a Factory (number's match) 350 and 4 speed With mirrored T Tops, then you have a higher Value car...(Few of these were produced) If you have a 305 Automatic, then you have a lower value car...For all the Info, score a Copy of Corvette Milestones, 2003 It has a total rundown on all production models Pre and Post Bowling Green...

Doc
Old 04-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I like the curvy body style, very nice, but isn't worth a resotoration. I won't feel bad if you swap in the usual digital gauges and billit everything. (i like it clean, simple and old-school )

the important thing is to have fun with it.

Remember, this is a hobby not a job. You don't make money off hobbies unless you're one of few lucky people out there.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.