Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1984 350 C10 Silverado electric choke
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
Check the wire at the choke cap for 12V with the ignition switch on. If no 12V then run a wire from a 12V source when the ignition is on. Could be an unfused plug in on your fuse box to use.
I checked the voltage in the wire that runs to the choke cover and it reads really close to 12v, actually 11.88v. That reading comes from the wire being disconnected from the choke, and the voltmeter wires being connected to the choke wire and the negative side of the battery.
However what is strange, at least to me is that, when I connect the choke wire to the choke cover connector and recheck the voltage, the voltage drops down to 4v.

So far I haven't ran a straight 12v wire to the choke, however I did unplug the oil pressure sensor and that did not make a difference at all. The voltage readings did not change. I will run a single wire from a 12 v source and see what happens.

Should it be a full 12v and should the voltage at the connector drop when I connect the wire?

Thanks