1984 Camaro tranny and rear end questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1984 Camaro tranny and rear end questions

Help please? I have a 383 Stroker with 450 hp 400lb torque in a 1984 Camaro. I am looking to purchase a good tranny to handle the HP and possibly alittle more when I add the Alumnium heads. The current rear end is a limited slip but my plan is to replace with a posi @ 373. Any ideas of where to buy a built transmission/converter combination to handle this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

What type trans are you looking for? Th350, TH400, TH700R4, TH2004R?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks

I have the 700R4 but I beleive the TH350 would work best. I don't know this for sure therefore I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2
I have the 700R4 but I beleive the TH350 would work best. I don't know this for sure therefore I'm open to suggestions.
I'd have the 700R4 built. It can easily be upgraded to handle a good amount of power + you would be able to keep the O/D 4th for cruising. A TH350 with the 9" tail from Trucks and Vans is the same length as the TH700R4. I'm not sure about the torque arm mounting tho'.
There's a member on this site, screen name (Jakeshoe) that is a HiPerformace trans builder and is close to Dallas. His site is >> http://www.jakesperformance.com/ He'll tell you what is best for your car and needs if for Racing App.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

700r4

Thanks for the insight and the link; I'll give him a call on Monday. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2
Help please? I have a 383 Stroker with 450 hp 400lb torque in a 1984 Camaro. I am looking to purchase a good tranny to handle the HP and possibly alittle more when I add the Alumnium heads. The current rear end is a limited slip but my plan is to replace with a posi @ 373. Any ideas of where to buy a built transmission/converter combination to handle this?
Posi is GM's name for limited slip so you know. If you run a th350, th400 or 200-r4 you will need a different tranny cross member as well as a new torque arm. The torque arm is mounted to the tail shaft of the tranny on these cars. This configuration and high torque result in broken tail shafts. Another abolsulte must with these car and any kind of power is frame connectors, lower control arms and panhard bar. The stock pieces are stamped steel and will flex wasting power. You should start from the back and work to the front.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks for the information. It's been quite a few years since I had a project like this; I'm actually building this for my son. My first muscle car was a 67 GTO, running a custom L88, M21 Transmission, and 456 gears. I sure wish I still owned that car!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

Check out Thirdgen.org there is tons of good info.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinRon
Posi is GM's name for limited slip so you know. If you run a th350, th400 or 200-r4 you will need a different tranny cross member as well as a new torque arm. The torque arm is mounted to the tail shaft of the tranny on these cars. This configuration and high torque result in broken tail shafts. Another abolsulte must with these car and any kind of power is frame connectors, lower control arms and panhard bar. The stock pieces are stamped steel and will flex wasting power. You should start from the back and work to the front.
What Rippin left out is the most important thing you sould get, a crossmember and tunnel brace setup from UMI. This relocates the new torque arm off the tailshaft and is a zillion times stronger than the stock crap. Also comes powder coated. Awesome setup, I have this on my 87 Z-28 with a TH-350. I also run a 406 with around 475 H.P and over 500 torque. Just google UMI Performance you'll thank me. And they also sell the above mentioned parts also.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's rule!
What Rippin left out is the most important thing you sould get, a crossmember and tunnel brace setup from UMI. This relocates the new torque arm off the tailshaft and is a zillion times stronger than the stock crap. Also comes powder coated. Awesome setup, I have this on my 87 Z-28 with a TH-350. I also run a 406 with around 475 H.P and over 500 torque. Just google UMI Performance you'll thank me. And they also sell the above mentioned parts also.
Actually thats exactly what I said, have another read.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinRon
Actually thats exactly what I said, have another read.
You're correct, I just gave him something to look at instead of looking aimlesly at various crossmembers and torque arms and coming back later asking "which one"? The right one makes all the difference. As well as the right sub connectors,etc. UMI and Spohn are the best. By the way Ron your Camaro looks awesome.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Information

Thanks,
I appreciate all the help I can get.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

ok and maybe some of this may help possibly:

i put a Th350 in my 82 trans am a few years ago now like in 2003 or 4, and it pretty much bolted itself in all i needed was one bracket from B&M for 70 bucks and showed the tranny where the Th200C trans was at and it like jumped under there and bolted itself in place

my th350 is 6" tail from a '77 3/4 ton 12 passenger van so i presume that its the heaviest internals 350 trans they built, or i would think so haha. its doing awesome in totally stock form except i put a 2400 stall converter on it and i love hoew it raps up before it even moves but when it does omg it freakin flies! its funny

yours will take a 9" tail fro a 2wd truck or 2wd k-5 blazer(84 was last year for 2wd k-5 blazers) or 2wd suburban since you have a 700r4, unless you find an '82 '83 200C driveshaft like mine is and then you can use a 6" tail th350(again like i did) beause only in 82 and 83 was the 200c trans in the F bodies and they are the 6" tail th350 length

id like to see pics of the torque arm relocation mount ??

interesting ?

where does it mount to? the crossmember ?

or?
and how much is it ?

maybe something i should get for my 82 hmmmmmmm!

anyways: need any more 82-up F body specific info then just let us know! some of us know every nut and bolt of them, inside and out, and have many tens of these cars over the years, literally.

on this page of mine you can see three pics of the 82 83 th200c torque arm mount bracket that bolts to the tranny tail housing, just for the fun of showing it, i still have it today in the building hahaha:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...arts/?start=20

good luck!

Last edited by fast68; 03-30-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Here is some pics of mine for my t56 swap. Although now I've decided on getting a double hump cross member for better exhaust clearance. I'm going to have to weld on the shackle so I can use the torque arm. I may even try to mount the torque arm to the sub frame connectors to get it off the cross member completely. I can't make up my mind yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Longtube-T56-xmem-web.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	37293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xmem_TA_1s.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	37294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xmem_1s.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	37295  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 AM

Ron,

On my crossmember I have the same 3 holes as you, my question is on the 2 bolt holes closest to the tranny did you have to drill out or re-thread the bolts to go in. Mine has the holes and you can feel the threads but they just dont want to go in. Other 4 went in like butter.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.