Hot Rod Forum banner

1984 chevy clutch linkage not lining up after cab swap.

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  ericnova72 
#1 ·
I bought this old 1984 chevy 1 ton flatbed wrecker as a father son project. My dad wanted to switch out the cabs because the original had some bad rust holes. So I found another 1984 chevy 1 ton, but it was an automatic. So after getting on the frame and hooked up, I put the foot peddle assembley in it from the other cab. Then here it is a few months later and I go to try to hook up the clutch linkage...and it doesn't line up. Can anybody tell me what happened here?? Where that rod goes through the floor, it's like about 4 inches too far to the right (if you're looking at it from the front of the truck) and it can't line up with that clutch pipe thingy that goes between the motor and truck frame. What happened?

#3 ·
If the replacement cab was an auto trans cab, it may not even have a clutch rod hole through the firewall, and you will have to make one using a holesaw. Is the hole in the cab are trying to use for the for the clutch pushrod straight forward in line with the pin on the clutch pedal??

You wouldn't happen to have the clutch cross shaft(bellcrank) in backwards or upside down, would you?? The upper lever on the bellcrank should be closet to the drivers frame rail, the lower lever should be closest to the motor/transmission.

#4 ·
I know about having to cut a hole....but my problem is The rod that goes from the foot peddle through the floor.......is about 4 inches to far.....to the right if you're looking at it from the outside (front) of the truck. I COULD cut a wide hole and hook up the rod....but then it would be at an angle and not straight up & down like what I think it is suppossed to be. What the heck is the problem here? The whole peddel asembley bolted right up. the clutch cross shaft and the push rod all line up. So if everything else is fitting like it is suppossed to then why is that peddle rod so far outa wack.?

The only 2 things that are differant are the cab and the the motor. We used a cab that was off an automatic truck, and we used a 454 instead of the 396 that was in it. Hell...those are both big blocks anyway. This cab thing is gettin on my nerves. I'd like to finish that truck. That clutch issue is the only thing holding it up.

#9 ·
I just took a look at my stock granny gear 4-speed '84 Chevy 4x4.

Inside the cab, the clutch rod comes off the clutch pedal from the side nearest the brake pedal and heads through the toe board part of the cab on an slight angle, heading closer to the engine/trans on the lower end, looks like it makes about a 1" to 1-1/2" offset(maybe 2", it is hard to tell), and has a "L" shaped end on the lower end that points in towards the engine. This "L" end hooks to the outboard side of the bellcrank arm. The clutch bellcrank(cross shaft) upper arm lines up roughly with the outside edge of the frame rail, and this bellcrank arm is nearly perfectly directly in line with the steering column main shaft if you are looking straight in from the front of the truck in line with the steering box.

The clutch rod from the pedal comes through the floor roughly 3-4" or so below where the steering colunm comes through the cab floor/firewall.

#11 ·
well...I cut a slit right about where suggested, and the rod was a little bit of an angle, however, it fit the crossover piece. I have it all bolted up now. Thanks. Now onto the fenders, radiator support, radiator, hood and exhaust. Won't be long and I'll be using it to travel across the country side going to pick up some rust buckets and drag them home...lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.