1984 corvette crossfire injection change to 1985 TPI injection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 09:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1984 corvette crossfire injection change to 1985 TPI injection

Hey guys, I have a 1984 corvette with crossfire injection, I want to change to the TPI system they introduced in 1985, or some other type of intake system, but I kind of want the easiest bolt on situation without alot of mods, any ideas would be appreciated!!

(everyone knows you guys are the best!)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybonesmusic
... or some other type of intake system, but I kind of want the easiest bolt on situation without alot of mods, ...
What is your budget?

IMO, the easiest for the money is a Holley MPFI system that uses their Commander 950 engine management system. Either a single plane or the Stealth Ram. But the SR may not fit under a stock Corvette hood.

TPI is a good route, but I would recommend still using the C950 EMS to control it in lieu of trying to go the DIY-PROM route. I can do both, but my experience is the C950 is very user friendly compared to doing your own PROM programming.

Here is a link to where I converted my Camaro's single plane MPFI system to C950 EMS: http://www.edgesz28.com/edgesZ28/engine.htm

Here is a link to where I installed a TPI in my 94' Suburban, where I do my own PROM programming: http://www.edgesz28.com/edgesZ28/sub...urban-home.htm

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com
Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I know Victoria's secret....

Last photo:

I still have my 83 Z28 (CFI 350/A4), and finally got rid of the CFI, only due to the plans for the car.....it ran flawlessly until a rod bolt decided to take a permanent vacation. If you want to build some more power on the CFI, check out www.turbocity.com- I picked up a lot of slick 'go fast' parts for mine there.

The intank pump will push approximately 11-14 psi, depending on the condition.

You already have a return line, so running either TPI or a carb is fairly straightforward. Plug and play for the most part.

I personally would steer you away from an OEM TPI setup, as it's all but done at about 4500 rpm, and it was also originally designed for a 305. If you decide to go with TPI for performance, I'd strongly recommend Accel DFI (SuperRam system), or at least an Accel Base, runners, and plenum or Edelbrock base and runners to get you started. You'll also need to replace your fuel pump with either an Aeromotive, etc inline unit that will push a minimum 44psi, or swap out your intank pump for a TPI unit from a TPI 'Vette- you might have to source/fab some hard lines to replace some of the rubber lines, although I would imagine that lines from a TPI Vette would work. Most of the wiring should be plug and play as well, as the only differences really were the harness, computer/eProm, and the physical induction system itself.

You can regulate the pressure down from the OE pump for a carb, but you will need to run a return styly regulator, otherwise the fuel pressure will deadhead at the regulator and eventually overcome it, causing some drivability issues.

At that point, your only worries should be hood clearance between the intake, carb, and a CAI/air cleaner assembly.

Hope this all helps....
Old 06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I dont think the Holley Stealthram will fit under the stock hood of your Vette. You might look into using the Holley (or other good aftermarket controller) computer/sensor setup with a Mini-Ram (for higher RPM power) or the Accel SuperRam (for more mid power).
Old 06-07-2006, 12:56 PM

schweet

That Holly stealth system looks schweet, looks like all the plug and play stuff is there,
Includes Upper and Lower intake manifolds
58mm Billet Throttle Body
Clear Anodized Fuel Rails
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Pressure Regulator
255 L/hr fuel pump and fuel filters
Commander 950 ECU
All wiring harnesses
Software and communications cable
All Sensors
No EGR provision
Detailed installation and tuning manuals

the BIG prob would be fitting it under the vette hood, since its not like a camaro and could get a cheap fiberglass hood, maybe i could fiberglass in a hood scoop for looks, but doubt I could make it functional.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

It could work if you got a pro stock, Raptor (4th gen WS6), or SS (4th gen Camaro) type hoods....fab up a ram air/CAI and voila! Git er done!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 PM

sounds good

thanx Hawk Man, your stuff looks awsome bye the way, you must be rich! lol
Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There are a number of companies out there that make replacement hoods for the C4 vettes that have scoops or cowls on them. They look pretty wicked with a nice 3 inch cowl and that would probably give you the clearance you need.

You might goto corvetteforum.com and browse it to see if this issue has been dealt with before (which I am sure it has).
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

A Stock Ray Hood, with functional scoop SHOULD give you the clearance you need without cutting anything..measure twice cut once..

Doc
Old 06-08-2006, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybonesmusic
thanx Hawk Man, your stuff looks awsome bye the way, you must be rich! lol
Nope, that's not my 'shtuff' on the site- just a source for some of the go fast parts I picked up in college....some lucky bidder on eBay picked up my entire CFI system for about $350 if I recall.....

Here's a link to some of my pics......http://www.z28.com/gallery/showgalle...00&ppuser=5665

I have to post more pics of my progress on the 86......our 83 is stripped down waiting for a cage, SFC's, tubular k member, 4 link, and a DFI 396 SBC/T56, and finally all the body work- fiberglass hood, glass fenders, glass doors, and maybe glass 1/4's, but she's on the '10 year plan'......hence, I'm not very rich ...unless you count a loving fiance, loving Doberman pup, 3 Chevys (2 of which have no motor, trans, etc) and a 'Yota (I'm gonna cure our import problem here soon ...)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.