Hot Rod Forum banner

1984 monte carlo 229 engine

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Hippie 
#1 ·
What should be done this engine....i was thinking about goin with the 231 v6 super charged......my friend tellin me to go v8 no super charger? What should do?

#2 ·
84monte350 said:
What should be done this engine....i was thinking about goin with the 231 v6 super charged......my friend tellin me to go v8 no super charger? What should do?
While a 231 Buick engine could be used turbo or supercharged, it will be a very costly way to make the car fun to drive.

The chassis will fit basically any GM V8, including Pontiac, Buick or Olds engines. Best "bang for the buck" is a SBC 350/383/400. And, yes- "everyone" has one. But there's a reason for that... :mwink:

#3 ·
For a little background on the 229 V6 you have, '84 was the last year for it. After the 229 (the 229 was basically 3/4 of a 305 SBC V8 engine) came the 4.3L Chevy V6 engine, which will bolt in place of the 229 w/basically no modifications to the car required at all. The 4.3L V6 is 3/4 of a SBC 350 engine, BTW.

I don't know what it is you want the vehicle to do when all is said and done, so maybe fill us in on that.

#4 ·
84monte350 said:
The 229 is an economy motor, its OK if you want good mileage, they are a slug as far as performance.
If it were mine I would drop in a 305 at least. I had an 87 LS Monte' and it had the 305 4 bbl engine and a 200 4 r trans, what a street screamer.
trying to make the 229 perform like I think you want will be a nightmare for you.Keep it for what it is, an economy motor, if it is worn out, scrap it for parts money.

#5 ·
1984 monte carlo 229 v6 engine

Ok fellas thanx for the insight.....ummm I basically waz gonna go with the 305...because thats what my transmission teacher told me ......i want my my car super charged no mattr what I put in it but my worry about that is that I will be spending a lot of money on the dyno tuning ....is that true or could I adjust it myself? I have the monte carlo ls.....so I was ok goin to put the ss front nose on it to complete the aggressive look but ill jus keep the stock front....its n mint condition...how do u guys think im goin to have to spend on the engine alone.....i want to build somthing I can be proud of and that is a monster on the streets..if,u guys want...pics ill post some I willl..

#6 ·
1984 monte carlo 229 v6

cobalt327 said:
While a 231 Buick engine could be used turbo or supercharged, it will be a very costly way to make the car fun to drive.

The chassis will fit basically any GM V8, including Pontiac, Buick or Olds engines. Best "bang for the buck" is a SBC 350/383/400. And, yes- "everyone" has one. But there's a reason for that... :mwink:

Hey im from jersey city nj....do u have recommend any places where I can go to the v8 350....engine block....and did u say that it will fit perfect?... Thanks for your time

#7 ·
cobalt327 said:
For a little background on the 229 V6 you have, '84 was the last year for it. After the 229 (the 229 was basically 3/4 of a 305 SBC V8 engine) came the 4.3L Chevy V6 engine, which will bolt in place of the 229 w/basically no modifications to the car required at all. The 4.3L V6 is 3/4 of a SBC 350 engine, BTW.

I don't know what it is you want the vehicle to do when all is said and done, so maybe fill us in on that.

I had an '85 Monte with a flat tappet 4.3 TBI. It got amazing fuel economy but was a total slug. I blame that on the 3 spd. AT and 2.29 gears. I had an S-10 with the roller cam version of the same engine, 700R4 and 3.08's that would scoot pretty good. With a 200-4R and some 3.73's I think the Monte would have been a LOT of fun. If it were mine and I just wanted an economical fun driver I'd swap in a roller cam 4.3, 200-4R and 3.73 gears. It would have some decent zip and still get great mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.