1984 Trans am 305 Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1984 Trans am 305 Question

Ok I know its not a chevy but chevy related lol....I just recently Bought a 1984 Pontiac Trans am (Has the stupid electronic Carb. on it well had one any ways lol) This car has a title verified 55,000 miles on it ran rather crappy (Carb that was on it got promptly replaced with a quadra jet),Over all this car is going to be a nice little show car the bumper is the only problem because it has spidered in the front from the vinyl drying out and there is one little spot of rust in between the t-tops and windshield (Approx the size of a a pencil eraser)...More or less I want to keep the car for shows yet be able to keep up with the 5.0 mustang gts and the 281

Well to get to the point I want this car to be as original looking as possible and numbers matching (which means no 350's) and still get it a little peppy (Its got the 9 Bolt rear end with the disc brakes and a t-5 5 speed) so what is the easiest way to upgrade the internals/heads and headers...Please note that this is my first Carbed car I have ever done anything to it is also the first GM car other than a 92 RS Camaro 5 speed vert and a 00 ws6 Trans am..Mainly I have only owned Ford mustang Cobras ...A 96 and a 2003 Kenne Bell color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 12:10 PM

World makes a good head for the 305. A set of 3.73 gears would liven it up a bit, a lot of those cars came with 2.73's.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Making that little 305 work

How much money are you looking to spend? If you can handle about $700 then you can make your engine scream. You said you want it to look stock, what kind of stock look are you wanting? Use a set of ported 601 heads with .030 gasket or a set of ported 416 heads with a .015 gasket. Get a good .480 lift 230 duration cam with roller rockers. Headers, 600cfm carb, add coil and module to stock distributer. Rebuild the bottom end (bearings, oil pump, and gaskets) just to make things new and more reliable. Make sure that it is getting good air. Depending on your intake because of looks you should have right around 250-340 RWHP. If you are looking for a complete tear down then just buy a whone get new rings and do a little balancing (grinding) to make everything weigh less and close to the same with all new bolts. With a little time and effort you would have a little street demon that still gets about 22 MPG.
Your 9 bolt rear only came with 3.42 posi units (KEEP IT).
Pictures attached is of my 315 RWHP 305ci SBC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MY Motor.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	34186  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp MY MONTE MOTOR SMALL.bmp (274.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by FKR; 11-14-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.