1986 305 tpi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1986 305 tpi

hi, i have a 1986 trans am w/a 305 tpi 700r4.after a day of chores im on my way home from my buddys garage. and the car starts missing. i mean it went from running great very powerful to havin to 2 foot it just to make it home. i replaced the obvious (cap,rotor,plugs) to no avail. i was having a hard time guessing where to go next as it dosent throw any codes. i replaced the tps and the iac but it still wont run it misses so bad that i have pat the gas to keep it running.it seems to smooth out at about 2000 rpm. there were no signs of anything breaking it just happened all at once and i had the music a little loud so i didnt hear any noises.if anyone can help with this i would really appreciate it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Sometimes when this happens it could be pellinium gasket blown. had you noticed the car jerking alittle like a little miss every now and then. did you check the fuel filters also. Cole
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM

305 tpi wont run

i replaced the fuel filter as well. (forgot to mention srry) didnt notice any jerking or anything. when i have someone keep it running i cant hear any vacume leaks. did the ol startin fluid trick and the idle didnt change no matter where i sprayed it. unplugged spark plugs 1 at a time and injectors 1 at a time. no change.i dont think its in the sensors because it dosent give codes (unless u unplug something) and i replaced the 2 sensors u may not get codes for. im at a loss. almost ready to turn it over to a real mechanic. almost
Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Sometimes when this happens it could be pellinium gasket blown. had you noticed the car jerking alittle like a little miss every now and then. did you check the fuel filters also. Cole
Define pellinium
Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

A bad fuel pressure regulator can cause some of your symptoms. TPI's are very fuel pressure sensitive. I know the 5.7 requires at least 42 psi to run properly. Disconnect the hard vacuum line from the regulator and run a short piece of vacuum line directly to one of the two ports on the upper plenum (pass. side rear, on the side). See if this helps your problem at all.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 AM

thanks for the sugestions

rippin ron Canadian humor just isnt funny down here in the south, but im glad to see at least some of u know how to spell. u should come down here and enter a spelling bee and leave the cars to us. u r not helpful. however i will try that fuel thing. can i tell if there's a problem w/fuel delivery by checking the pressure on the fuel rail? i put in a new fuel pump about a year ago and its really loud so were kinda on the same page here. Ive been thinking about replacing it for a while now the noise gets really loud when u get below a half a tank.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaroths
rippin ron Canadian humor just isnt funny down here in the south, but im glad to see at least some of u know how to spell. u should come down here and enter a spelling bee and leave the cars to us. u r not helpful. however i will try that fuel thing. can i tell if there's a problem w/fuel delivery by checking the pressure on the fuel rail? i put in a new fuel pump about a year ago and its really loud so were kinda on the same page here. Ive been thinking about replacing it for a while now the noise gets really loud when u get below a half a tank.
Its not meant to be funny. People should learn how to spell and use words that exist, Like you not u.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinRon
Define pellinium
Sorry ifin i aint got the learnin some of yo yungens have. i just try the best i can aint nuttin wrong wit that tis ther. i recon ifin yer smart enough you would know what i meant nomatter how it was spelled. I dont know what you are on here for but i am trying to help thats all. I dont know if you have noticed but just about everyone on here cant spell worth a hoot. But they get the point across. And thats what really matters anyway. We dont make fun of people where i come from because they cant read or write very well . Or for any reason for that matter or atleast i dont. Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 05-01-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

Go away Ron. Your input isn't needed. I'm not here to bash people for their grammatical capabilities. The guy likes cars and so do I, he shouldn't be chastized for wanting to ask a question about a car problem. ******* Sticks like you need to find something better to do with your time if all your gonna do here is make fun of people.

But to answer your question, yes you can check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail. There is a schrader valve on the passengers side fuel rail near the back. At idle and under load you should maintain at least 42 psi. I believe it's the same on the 305 as the 350, not positive, maybe someone else can chime in.

Another thing you can try is clamping the fuel return line to the tank, FOR A VERY SHORT TIME, and reving the engine to see if there is any change in your symptoms.

In the sending unit between where the pump outlet and fuel line connect there is an oval object about an inch and a half long called a "pulsator". It's designed to reduce fuel pump noise but all it really does is cause headaches, especially as they get older. GM issued a TSB that called for replacing the pulsator with a short piece of fuel line. As they get older the seals in the pulsator give out and they begin dumping fuel right back into the tank and dropping fuel pressure. This may be another place to check if you exhaust all other ideas.

Last edited by DaSouthWon; 05-01-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM

fuel pressure

i checked the fuel pressure on the rail and with the car off it held 42psi.with the car on i couldn't let it idle or it cuts off but while keeping it running it got as high as 60psi (or close)its like it has a bad spot in low rpm that wont allow it to idle or accelerate smoothly it misses sputters and occasionally backfires through both the top and bottom. Ive been doing a lot of reading and 1 place said with a loud fuel pump sputtering missing and such its a bad fuel regulator but that was a Porsche. im thinking and i might be wrong that its a injection system and while there might be slight differences if the parts called the same it probably does the same thing with similar symptoms when it goes bad. another is the ignition module im gonna try that tomorrow because its cheap.i also read where the tps needs adjusting i don't have a reader so i just marked the old one, and it said the iac needed adjusting as well.i took off the cable from the battery tonight to go through that as well tomorrow,but im not hopeful.seems like these are fine tunes after the car is idling and running half way descent(i could be wrong about this as well) thanks for all the help and ill get back w/u soon hopefully w/good news.(ill be back on the gto or cougar)
Old 05-02-2009, 01:05 PM

more info

after letting it set all night with the battery unhooked it came back w/a 32 code (egr) so im thinking it could be a bad egr but im wondering if egr's can go bad all of the sudden like that or if there are things i would notice on its way out. also if something else could be the problem causing the code other than the egr. i know replace the egr and shut up. im thinking maybe i should post the mods as well. i cut the screens out of th maf sensor a long time ago. took off the air pump, and plugged the holes. took out the cat converter. i did all this about a year ago and it was running fine until a couple days ago when this all happened. any insight into the tpi system would be appreciated as im pretty proficient with my other hot rods but none of those are injected.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinRon
Define pellinium
i think he means plenum
Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by va4cqd
i think he means plenum
Yep thats exactly what i meant. PLENUM !!!!!!. Cole
Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 AM

please dont spell correctly and use bad grammer

cole please dont reply to those lonely canadians.its just encouraging them to keep posting on here and i really would like some help.they obviously have nothing to do in the frozen tundra and are probaly ***(why else would a man emphasize on spelling? or maybe they r girls.at least there knowledge of cars is the same.) yeah so *** spell checking canadians DO NOT post here.after all canada is the USA's little brother that never had a date.now back to the problem. symptom 1,000: its hit and miss now sometimes it will run great and sometimes u cant even start it and when u do u wish u hadnt.

Last edited by Jmark; 05-03-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Other.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I do not see why you would want to alienate (NPI) all the Canadian members.

IMO, stick to the automotive and leave the political/grammatical out of it. Correcting grammar on this site would be a 24-7 occupation, plus is a bit pusillanimous.

That said, I believe that checking the ignition module might well solve your problem- it's the sudden miss that makes me think that, providing you were just cruising and not power shifting at 8500 RPM.

If you said that it recovered when cooled down but did it when heat soaked, I would be a bit more sure- but if you can try a known good module on it, I'd like to think your problems would be over.

Last edited by cobalt327; 05-03-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.