1986 Cutlass Motor mount and vacuum line questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 10:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1986 Cutlass Motor mount and vacuum line questions

Hi

(5.0 307 Y in vin)

I recently picked p a Cutlass that im trying to fix up. The people who owned the car before really didn't take care of it. I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets. Painted both of em to make em look better. Then replaced the motor mounts.

So far though im wondering if y'all can help me find out where some of these things go.

This clip right here I know nothing about. Does anyone have a Cutlass and can tell me where it goes please.

Here are some pics of it. I don't see and area on the intake or carb that it is missing off of.. This car is missing some stuff . Maybe its supposed to plug into an intake?

There is also this black vacuum line tube that was broke off. I don't know where it should plug into.

Also these two vacuum lines in the back left passenger side of the car are broke. I don't know where they go.

They are located back here.

Also another thing..

When I got the car the motor mounts were shot. THe motor was basically laying on the cross-member. I replaced the motor mounts. The engine feels good and looks good but the engine now sits up too high for some reason. The fan rubs on the fan shroud and the hood will not close cause it hits a bracket and is really close to hitting the fan.

Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know how I can fix it? The engine looks like it tilted up like the Tranny mount are loose or something cocking the engine up.... But the motor mounts are on right.

I dunno does anyone know why everything is so close the the hood?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisement

Last edited by ChrisMiddleron; 05-16-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The plug appears to be the one that would go to a electric choke, but the car has a hot air choke, I`ve seen many like this that have the electric plug in there and there car not have a electric choke. Don`t quote me on that as far as it being for a electric choke. Is the A/C high idle solenoid in place and plugged up? the connector could have been for a heat pod under the carb. The broken vacuum line looks as if it goes to the vents, I`m not sure on the black one, but I am on the pink one, as mine is also pink, make sure the vent controls work, if they don`t go from there. For some reason mine has 2 lines for the vent controls, my friends who have a cutlass only have one. Check the tranny mount and make sure it`s still good, it can be broken and not appear to be, this can cause the engine and tranny to move around as well as make the tranny bump under the car, if the rear of the tranny sits low enough it makes the front of the engine hit the hood. The black vacuum line could go to the exhaust flap but don`t quote me on that either. These cars had miles and miles of vacuum lines, and a real pain to replace them all. Is the catalyst still on the fan shroud? it should show you the vacuum line diagram. When I got my 86, I drove it for about a year and ripped out the 307 and dropped in a small block chevy as I`m not a big fan of Olds engines.
I also swapped in a posi carrier and gears from a 83 Trans Am, my car came factory with 2.14:1 gears, highest gears I ever seen in a passenger car.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:16 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help

On 3 forums you have been the most help. I took out the old tranny mount t-day and it evened out the engine about a inch. The engine is still sitting high though. I hope they didn't sell me the wrong motor mounts. They bolted up fine..... But maybe they are thicker then the originals making the engine sit higher.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

HEY ChrisMiddleron-

Just want to add my two cents...

the little green tab thing is for diagnostics for the puter and carb. it just hangs there.

the black vacuum lines go the the emissions controls on the pass side of the vehicle. air pump and air release to heads.

i own a 86 cutlass supreme and have redone all the vacuum and hard lines on the sucker. i was lucky that mine is pretty clean.

i have a 86 manual at the house...will scan you some pages and post em for you tonight....wish id seen this thread earlier- happy to help a fellow olds owner. pm me if you need anything else.

you may also want to take a look at oldspower.com - great bunch of persons there...i have the same handle there - but dont leave this site completely now
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info

Thanks for that web-site. I will check it out now.

That would be really cool of you to scan and post them pages.

Thanks for everything,
Chris
Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I was going to mention the same site to you, as I`m a member there myself under this same name.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

running out of time....those scans may need to wait till tomarro...i will try to get em tonight
Old 05-18-2005, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Im in no rush. Right now im waiting for that forum to email be back so I can activate my forum account

Takes forever..

Now I think the fuel pump went bad on the car. O well
Old 05-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Just got on the net....I NEED TIME, anyone got any to spare- taking donations

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.