1986 Iroc 5 spd Flywheel and Clutch > Fit's 4.3?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 01:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1986 Iroc 5 spd Flywheel and Clutch > Fit's 4.3??

hey guys
i know the 5 spd will bolt up to the 4.3L but i know i have to get a 4.3L flywheel because the 4.3's are externally balanced. When i do this, can i still use the new clutch i have that was meant for the 5spd when it was bolted up to the 305 TPI motor? will the clutch match up to a 4.3L flywheel?? or do i need to get a new clutch? i'd rather not because this is brand new but im just curious. Thanks

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Yes I believe so.These are both modern one piece rear seal engines.The 4.3 Vortech flywheels weigh too much.A have machined them quite a bit to help rpm easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

the guy who i got this tranny and stuff off of just got his flywheel for the tranny machined but its of no use to me for the 4.3 right?? and what your saying is i should get a 4.3L 5 spd flywheel machined so it revs better??
Old 11-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

The 4.3 can't use a V-8 flywheel and vice-versa.

Not that it'll "rev better", it just won't rattle itsself apart because of the differences in balances.

The clutch disc and pressure plate WILL interchange with the V-8 though, as long as they are the same size.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM

Yes the balance issue is important.These V6s are very tricky engines.I believe even the bolt circle is different.But I have taken about 20% off by machining on areas away from the empty pocket.There were 3 different crank
off sets and thus cams with even fire,semi even and odd firing.Wild.Are you gonna carburete it?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

id kinda like to keep the TBI on the 4.3

im gettin too many different answers and not being able to decipher which one to go with. Will a 4.3L 5 spd flywheel work witht he camaro 5 speed. Will it bolt up?
i know of the balance issues but i just want to know if a 4.3l 5 spd flywheel is gonna work witht he 5 spd.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Since it is a tutti-fruti mix I would do this. Fit the tranny + bell to the block without flywheel and clutch.This way you will be sure about fit and length of input shaft + pilot bush issues with a clear view.Then remove the trans and laying on the floor fit whatever clutch you want to try to the input shaft.If that is also solved all you have left is the bolt circle in between crank flange and flywheel. What I have done is adapt the 4.3 to a german car and then a Borg Warner Super T 10 to it.Then a custom drive-shaft and a Dana 44.I converted to old style heads + manifold and HEI.If you want power contact the ASA racing community.They phased out of V6s and there is plenty of equipment available.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

The flywheel will work with the transmission, but must match the engine no matter what. The pressure plate should bolt up to the flywheel but some flywheels will allow two different sized pressure plates to bolt up to it depending upon the application.

You should be able to bolt that transmission to any engine the bellhousing bolt pattern matches up with.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.