1986 or somewhere around there s10 driveshaft angle problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1986 or somewhere around there s10 driveshaft angle problems

Hello I am sure I have posted on here before but havent addressed my vibration problem in a long time. ...........so here it goes I have a 1080"s s10 built from a junkyard frame(as in its not rusted!!!) 1982 long bed, 1993 sonoma cab, 2.8 engine, borg warnere 5 speed tranny.............problem is at about 60 or so I get the drive line vibrating.......and I would guess its at the carrier bearing since I jacked up the rear axle and watched the driveshaft vibrate at the carrier bearing.....u joints and carrier bearing are good, although carrier bearing wasnt solidly mounted(these carrier bearing designs they used in these s 10 trucks in the 80s really sucked) fixing that mounting problem right now. well I am not sure where to start when adjusting the driveshaft angles as I am sure this is where most of my problem is because I would thing the shaft coming out of tranny to carrier bearing should be pretty close to exactly the same angle as the tranny(straight into the tranny with no angle difference at the the ujoint/tranny yoke). The first part of the driveshaft protrudes through the carrier and the slip yoke is also right after the carrier bearing...So now the first angle begins.............here is where I am at a loss to start the setup.......before I started playing with this again, the rear end to driveshaft angle was less than one degree upward.and the drive shaft to slipyoke was about 5 to 7 degrees upward also so one can see thats why the shaft area at the carrier was going nuts........Does the rear end pinion have to be parallel or level with the ground or do I just make it on the same plane as the yoke coming out of the carrier bearing...(messing with the rear end seems a pain(gotta buy shims to change angle).......I just wish there was a stock setup numbers or fix I could use......kinda at a clueless area as to where to start..............I know jtr sells a kit that raises the transmission mount area 2/4 an inch and the carrier an inch....which would decrease the god awefull angle at the slip yoke.........I will make these shims myself, but how close do I have to get as far as angles go......There doesnt seem to be any articles on the s-10 2 piece driveshaft as to how to align them for no vibration.......dont really want to mess with rear end unless I have to.........on regular one piece drive shafts......the pinion and trans are parallel to each other so I would think I need to duplicate this condition, but what should I aim for,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 11:10 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

Usually the Ujoints in a driveshaft can compensate for a lot of deflection resulting from height mods, so:

First, loosen the bolts for the carrier bearing (assuming it is in good condition), and let the bearing take it's center. Test. If it still vibrates, take the driveshaft down, and feel all the Ujoints for ANY roughness at all. If there are any doubts, replace them all. Test Again. If it still vibrates, check to see if this conglomeration of parts has caused a problem with the length of the driveshaft. I've seen some mods & swaps result in a driveshaft binding due to it being too long. Sometimes they just bust the output housing instead of vibrating. Do this and then repost. I will check back in a few days.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

I have several driveshafts to try.....all are the same exact make for the s-10. and all have been tested by a driveshaft shop.........as far as length is concerned, I havnt changed or deviated from the stock 1982 to 1993 1st generation configuration.......so the question is..........where do I start in aligning all the angles to the proper setting..........does the rearend have to be parallel to the ground with the pinion at a 90 degree angle from the ground.........as someone told me when the truck is level.........so's the rear end?........the slip yoke just after the carrier had 7 degrees angle on it and the rear end had dam near 0 so that = vibration..........I have seen on jtr's site the kit that I mentioned.......they raise the tranny as far as the friggen thing will go till it just about hits the floor board when going over bumpy roads........so that tells me the same thing I am encountering........the driveshaft angles are WAY WRONG and chevrolet didnt disign the truck with angles in mind............so do I have to shim the rearend down to get some angle on it and if so does it matter if its below level or not,.......I would think shimming it below the 90 degree plane would make it harder if not impossable to get the first section of the driveshaft to be parallel to the rear end
Old 11-27-2005, 07:27 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

The pinion does not have to be parallel to the ground. Very often, the pinion faces up a little. I think the tailshaft of the trans and the pinion have to be the same angle. this wold put the Ujoints at the same angle, and negate any vibration issue there. There are shims for changing the angle of the rearend, and they are pretty easy to put in. To change the angle of the trans, lower or raise the crossmember.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

OK UPDATE HERE........reduced the angle of the slip yoke just after the carrier, now all the angles are less than 3 degrees..........so I took this truck for a ride and now the vibration is 40 to 60......so that reduced the speed of the vibration......at 65 it seems pretty smooth..........at least now I think the stick doesnt vibrate any more, it seems smooth...............wondering if the angles are nominal why does it still vibrate
Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

Have you checked the Ujoints? You have to be really discriminating. I would say that you should disassemble the joints, and rotate each cap by hand, I suspect there will be one that is giving some resistance at just one spot. On my own vehicles, I would just replace the joints, cause it is the same amount of labor to dissasemble them. Also, i have to ask. Is the carrier bearing in good condition?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

The pinion up angle should be the same as the down angle of the output shaft. ie pinion up 4* the output should be down 4*. You also need to see if the slip yoke is timed with the yoke on the shaft. (easiest way is to lay driveline on flat surface and the the flat part of the yoke, where the c clips are, should both be flat on the table. If its off a few splines, it will vibrate. You can also take the shaft to a driveline shop and they will check for straightnes and balance.

Good luck

John
Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 AM

Last photo:

Well I can see if I jack the truck up and put jack stands underneath the rearend and run it up to 55 I can see the carrier vibrate so I decided to take it to another driveshaft shop..........so we will see........they are charging 115 for the balance if it needs it and 35 for each ujoint that is bad and 35 for each labor time on each ujoint....the guy said if the drive shaft is out of balance and the ujoints are bad........I.E. it needs a lot of work.....that I could get several hundred rapped up in it easily........so I hope this guy knows what he is doing cause I dont think the last one did at the local shop.............the shop I am going to is close to the summit racing here in talmadge ohio.......summit gave me their number....so we'll see
Old 01-13-2006, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

vibration in drive shaft

a few ideas.. first the pinion angle for leaf spring rear end is 5 to 7 degrees down not up .. you point it down so that when you take off and the drive train is put under lots of torque the drive shaft is in the straitest line possible... but you might think about going to a one piece drive shaft .. also the reason you see it jumping and the mid shaft bearing is because that is the weakest point in a drive shaft .. but if you did not move the spring perches on the axle tube the pinion angle should be set from the factory hope i made some sence
Old 01-13-2006, 05:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmanscott@hotmail
a few ideas.. first the pinion angle for leaf spring rear end is 5 to 7 degrees down not up .. .....
For a street driven car this is absolutely WRONG! The above angles will work only in drag racing. In any other conditions you'll wear out "U" joints right and left.

Propaniac has the correct recommendations. The pinion angle should equal the trans output shaft angle only opposite. Trans angle 3*down = pinion angle 3* up etc. Here's a thread that will explain this in detail.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

My long bed S-10 always had a vibration from 0-10 MPH, I always figured it was the steady bearing. Instead of replacing the steady bearing I just had a 1 peice drive shaft done. No problems since. Just a idea.

I really dont understand the point of the 2 peice ones, but the length can't be the reason for the S-10. The one I had built was originally out of some Impala, and I needed it shortened to fit the S-10.

bonuts

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.