1986 T/A 305 tpi Overheating, losing antifreeze - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1986 T/A 305 tpi Overheating, losing antifreeze

So my brother got his first car a month ago, a 1986 trans am with t-tops, the 305 tpi, and a 3" y-pipe. The car and engine have 85K miles and runs about 14.8 1/4 mile. right when he got it, he changed all the fluids, tuned it, cleaned it and so on. one night after coming home from the movie theater, the coolant temperature rockets to 250 and we pull over at a gas station to find the coolant boiling over like crazy.

long story short, we found out the next day that the fan relay switch was fried, and the fan wasn't kicking on at all. so now he has a manual switch to keep the fan on all the time.

Still overheats!!!

Things that are fine:
alternator has good voltage
water pump is good, looks like it was replaced at one point
no external leaks that we can see.

Main Issues:
overheats regardless of outside temperature with the fan on continuously.
loses coolant somewhere (possibly maybe the head gasket??)
Replaced the thermostat to a 160*, still climbs up high and boils over.

we got a new relay, still have the problem.

According to him, he sees no loss of power while it is warming up, and no noticeable white smoke or antifreeze smells. But we have checked the coolant several times, and looks like about a pint is missing each time.

No knocking can be heard
idles/ drives normal before it overheats

so right after the initial overheating, it overheats every time it is running for not that long. he is clueless about the problem, but neither of us have any money, nor will the parents chime in.

Hope someone can help.

Also, my brother lock his keys in his car like 3 days ago and we have no spare. any ideas on how to "break in" without damaging anything???? The guy we bought it from hasn't pony'd up the second set.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Geez, this has all the beginnings of a 3 Stooges movie....
Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 AM

Last photo:

You can test the thermostat in boiling water for the cost of about $0.89 (for the replacement gasket).

use a slim jim to get in. Maybe a police person or Curly will tell you how to use it?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 AM

Last photo:

Being serious now; we both still live at home, going to school, parents bought his car and he hasn't done anything bad to his car other than drive it past curfew. Now he can't drive it anywhere, and i was just putting the cherry on the cake about the locking his keys in it. He is in no way a gear head, be he can spot obvious problems without a dummy light.

Already changed the thermostat, so no need for testing the old one. besides, we wanted a low temp one anyhow because it is awfully dry and hot here in colorado.

even if the problem is really bad, i've pulled a motor 5 times, and changed a head gasket twice. The only thing we are worried about is cost of parts; we both have plenty of time and resources to everything ourselves.

so any real thoughts about the overheating issue????
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Gather up some head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets and pull the heads. Magnaflux 'em for cracks. Inspect the old head gaskets for blown-out fire rings.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

What is Magnaflux 'em mean???

Won't you also need to get all new head bolts as well?

Are there other things to check before pulling the heads?

Do catalytic converters make a difference if white smoke were to come out? I have a head gasket blow once, but i had no cats, and the smoke was so white i couldn't see the car behind me.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnaflux
Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 AM

Last photo:

Honestly you need to get an experienced mechanic or rodder to look at the car to help diagnose it for ya before you do serious damage to it.New looking water pump does not mean good it needs pressure checked and all the basics looked at.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

overheating

Try changing the rad. cap to a 12 to 15 pound cap were used for the lower stat, Also,your old cap could be bad, not letting the pressure build up, more pressure,higher boiling point. Find a buddy with a chevy and just swap cap and try it, FREE test
Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit6447
my brother lock his keys in his car like 3 days ago and we have no spare. any ideas on how to "break in" without damaging anything???? The guy we bought it from hasn't pony'd up the second set.
The way AAA did it (while I watched in amusement- wasn't MY car), was to simply pry the top of the door open and block it that way w/an inflatable bladder (think hand-pumped small whoopee-cushion).

Then, using a long aluminum pole w/a plastic coating (so as to be bendable), he flipped the door lock- of the opposite door. Took all of 20 seconds.

I've seen guys take slim jims and do all sorts of un-good things to their doors' linkages and wiring, but in the hands of someone who's lucky, careful or experienced- they'll do the job, too. I have a foldable one that I got some time ago. Damn near useless.

Call the cops, if nothing else. They get a kick outta doing a B&E.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

cops around here use a plastic wedge at the top of the door, and the flexible rod to pop the lock.. but then again, they pop the locks for free, just need to proove ownership after they pop it..

I'd slimjim my own car b4 having them do that tho. my grandfather locked his only set of keys in his car and called the local sheriff to pop the locks, did it with the block and I cringed as the door flexed
Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

Long shot

It is easy for one to do damage while trying to enter a car as you know.

One time I left keys for 85 fiero in TN and flew to Detroit where my car was.
I called dealership where I bought the car; they gave me the key code.

It is a long shot but you may be able to check GMAC or dealer for key code; I realize they probably don't keep records that long. GMAC used to hand out a silver metal key chain charm with key code data. The original keys came with knock-outs with key code. I happened to keep mine; anal. Key code may be on original contract which is probably long gone.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit6447
So my brother got his first car a month ago, a 1986 trans am with t-tops, the 305 tpi, and a 3" y-pipe. The car and engine have 85K miles and runs about 14.8 1/4 mile. right when he got it, he changed all the fluids, tuned it, cleaned it and so on. one night after coming home from the movie theater, the coolant temperature rockets to 250 and we pull over at a gas station to find the coolant boiling over like crazy.

long story short, we found out the next day that the fan relay switch was fried, and the fan wasn't kicking on at all. so now he has a manual switch to keep the fan on all the time.

Still overheats!!!

Things that are fine:
alternator has good voltage
no external leaks that we can see.

Main Issues:
overheats regardless of outside temperature with the fan on continuously.
loses coolant somewhere (possibly maybe the head gasket??)
Replaced the thermostat to a 160*, still climbs up high and boils over.

we got a new relay, still have the problem.

According to him, he sees no loss of power while it is warming up, and no noticeable white smoke or antifreeze smells. But we have checked the coolant several times, and looks like about a pint is missing each time.

No knocking can be heard
idles/ drives normal before it overheats

so right after the initial overheating, it overheats every time it is running for not that long. he is clueless about the problem, but neither of us have any money, nor will the parents chime in.

Hope someone can help.

Also, my brother lock his keys in his car like 3 days ago and we have no spare. any ideas on how to "break in" without damaging anything???? The guy we bought it from hasn't pony'd up the second set.
A 160 thermostat is too cold without changing the chip in the computer, the engine needs 176 degrees to get the computer out of cold start mode.

Sudden overheating is symptomatic of a failed thermostat, which you already tested for, a blown head gasket, way out of time most likely retarded as would happen if the timing gears and chain slipped position, the impeller has come loose inside the water pump, the radiator is getting plugged up internally.

A failed fan results in overheating at idle and not moving, or moving slowly. If running the fan all the time doesn't help, air flow isn't the problem.

Retarded timing can be checked with a timing light, before you grab the twist the distributor. A quick and dirty check for a bad timing chain and gears is to disconnect the vacuum advance and plug the source hole on the carb. Run the revs up to 3-4000 and slam the throttle shut. If the timing marks wander all over the place when viewed thru this process with a timing light, it's a fair bet the gears and chain are going away. When they fail the engine tends to run the camshaft retarded taking the distributor timing with it. You can correct the distributor timing to the crank by twisting it around, but this does nothing to put the cam back in coordination with the crank, so it's retarded and events cause overheating.

Leaking head gasket will manifest itself as coolant smoke in the exhaust or bubbles in the coolant, it can be tested by pressurizing the radiator with the engine not running and looking for external or internal coolant leaks. The latter will show as a coolant loss, but not on the ground. Be sure to check the heater core as well for leaks when doing this, wet carpet on the passenger side is a good giveaway.

A failed impeller will usually show as no coolant flow when looking into the radiator with the cap off when the thermostat is open or missing.

Not overheating on idle; but overheating on cruise can be a an indicator the radiator is no longer flowing enough coolant thru its core. Typical of this is that the coolant backs up on the return side, the engine overheats and pukes. Make sure there is a coolant recovery tank that works, if not air gets in and this really speeds internal corrosion of all the cooling system parts. Radiator flow testing is pretty much a radiator shop thing as the test is dependent on being able to measure gallon's per minute flow thru the core and that takes some special equipment. Chemical cleaners are a waste of time as is water wetter, so don't throw what little money you have away on this stuff.

Changing the pressure on the cap has no effect on temperature, it may postpone boil over till the engine gets hotter, which it will do, but has no effect on how hot it'll get, except for the boil over point forcing you to stop running it any longer. Running the engine hotter whether it boils over or not isn't the solution, getting the temps down below a boil over is the solution. There's no reason to run an engine more than 200 degrees.

Bogie
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Are you sure your water pump is even 'pumping'?
Quote:
cuz if it's got the cheap ***** stamped impeller and it rotted off, you will never know by looking at the outside. Radiator hose collapsing? Radiator blocked? Best rule out these easy fixes before doing a teardown or you will be right back in the same boat.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

it is pumping water, and we just found out that the radiator is leaking, causing the antifreeze to be boiled right off. still not sure about the head gasket, but we will check the timing.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.